Grinding hooves

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Halo-M Nubians, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

I finally got a small 4" grinder for the goats hooves. Is there anything I should know before I give it a try? Would someone with experience care to walk me thru it. I'm imagining that it smells pretty good... :nooo

2. Truly

Truly New Member

I got a grinder and just "played" with it until it worked for me. I didn't think the smell was too bad. The hardest part for me was not having ripples. Again, practice makes perfect.

You'll be so happy with how much quicker it is, that you won't mind the learning of it.

3. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

Hot feet! If you grind for too long on onw foot, it heats up. And wear leather gloves! I lost the finger off of my knittet gloves...and parts of my fingernails quick as a flash! I'd say also to watch your angle as you can grind uneavenly quickly! Also, if your sanding disk gets dirty you can use a stiff brush or wire brush to clean it off. You will still need to trim between the toes and an overly long toe...same as has been suggested before. I use the grinder more as a "finisher" than to do the complete job.

4. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Can you post a picture of the types of grinders you are using? or a link to a site that has one like yours?

5. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

6. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

I've thought about this a few times, but I think I'd probably take off more fingers than hoof.... :/

It only takes me about 5 minutes to trim up a goat with the nippers.

Tracy

7. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Those little orange handled Nippers can do a good job and you really don't need the grinder. However, you can do a better and smoother job with the grinder. Also hooves on foundered goats are a breeze with the grinder.

8. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

Well, I got it because it seems like everyone was raving about what a breeze it was awhile back. Haven't tried it yet, but I do have a few problem hooves in the herd so perhaps I will be glad after all.

9. goatmom

goatmom New Member

Tracy - I'm with you -I think about it and then imagine the grinder getting away from me on one of the sassy girls -flying through the air-ugh!!

Some one on here a while back - thinking it was Tim?? talked about getting a sharpener for the hoof trimmers -I'd like to know how that is working out.

10. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

I am not the most coordinated person but I haven't had run away grinder yet. I did take of the finger to my knit glove but that was while we were trimming the hooves of an untamed sheep. SHE did not enjoy any of what we were doing to her! :) I trim the goats' hooves in our wide wooden stand. One of my does seems to have long toes and lots of hoof growing between the toes that require trimmers first then I use the grinder to finish and level off the hooves. Another doe has little growth and I just use the grinder on her. Depends on what the need, I guess. I'm still learning....