Grinding Hooves Help PLEASE!! Tim/Vicki??

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Sondra, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Will you please explain how to grind hooves for us once again, It isn't on this new forum and so none of us have the info.
    Thanks

2. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

I'm not Tim or Vicki...a very far cry from them in experience...but I do use a grinder. First I pick and brush clean with a wire brush. Then I trim the folded over hoof wall and any over-growth between the heels (per Vicki). Then I grind the hooves level. I take more toe off the rear feet, more heel of the fronts bet keep in mind to keep the hoof level with the hairline. Use your gloves! Sometimes you need to scub off the sanding surface of the grinding wheel, too. I guess I use the grinder more as a "finishing" tool. I didn't save my notes either. :(

3. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I've heard that a belt sander works well too. I would think you would need rather coarse grit paper though....think the fine grit would gum up to quick.

Whim

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Is this a one person job or does it take two ?

5. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Susie did a good job explaining the wheres and whatfors! Thanks Susie! It is not a two man job unless you are doing bucks. A huge buck can take his foot away from you so you will need an assistant unless you are big and strong.

Using a grinder gives an more even and finished hoof than what you can do with hoof nippers. You will still need the nippers to pare away the folded over hoof walls and over growth between the heels. And yes, difinately use gloves even if you trim without the grinder.

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Thankyou ! now to get a grinder. I have one but not the right wheel in it and can't find one to fit.

7. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

Yes...gloves...always a must! I finally found a use for all of those left gloves I never wear out but always wear out the righty first! (I hold hooves with my left, tools with my right!) :)

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Sondra they are less than $15 from harborfrieght.com I use a belt sander, which is definetly a two woman job :) Vicki

9. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

I still think that you should figure out a way to mount the belt sander upside down in a platform so when the does step on it they are sanding down level to how they would naturally walk, or you can just use your hands to hold the feet and bzzzz...you are done!

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well I don't have two people to do this so have to figure out like LeeAnne says or use a grinder and since I have a Ryobi 4 in grinder already I just need to find the right wheel and get some gloves.