Green snot/crusties on buckling ?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by MiddleRiver, May 19, 2008.

1. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

I just picked up my ordered kids two weeks ago, 2 doelings, and my new herdsire. They are all roughly 1.5 months old - two born end of March, one early April.

The buckling and early April doeling came from the same farm that pan feeds all their kids, the other doeling is a bottle kid.

i've heard the buckling and doeling sneese/cough before, not often, and usually durring eating or shortly after, and i had asked another goat owner that said it was just from diving their face into the milk - don't worry.

Well now i see my buckling has some green crusty snot on his nose - not a lot, not running now, but there is some on his nose and it worries me. I'll take his temp on lunch break, but he acts 100% normal and playful, and quite bucky already.

what should i do ? Should i worry ? Give him some biomycin or something, or just wait till i get a temp ? Poop and pee is all normal.

Also, when is a good age to worm my kids - i have ivermectin injectible, and may have some valbazon, but i'm sure not enough for everybody - what would the kid dose be for ivermectin ? I'm thinking worm them at around 4 months when i move my doelings into the doe herd ??? What about for the 3 month old doeling/wether that are already with my adults ?

Thanks !

2. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

The only thing that would worry me is if they are sharing a pan of milk..? otherwise, no worries. I see kids all the time (2 legged) with snotty noses and no ones running to the Dr. with them. If they started in with respiratory symptoms, raspy breathing etc, then I would be concerned. My kids will cough on occasion after drinking a bottle.. why? I don't know, but it's a few coughs and then they're off getting into trouble.
    Worming.. I usually don't start until they're about 6 months old, but I'm on a different schedule than you would be up there.

3. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

Thank you stacy. I will keep an eye on him then and try not to worry too much :+)

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I use VIT C and a decongestant like benedryl or robitussen dm for a day or so if the goat doesn't have a temp. I never ever just start antibiotics just because only if a temp or raspy breathing lungs. worm with valbazen on them to start with and then run fecals in 10 days and see what you have and what is needed to treat them for. I always start kids on valbazen . However those in with your big girls need to be wormed with what ever you worm the big girls with. Also I would start your cocci treatments now on these kids and every 21 days.