Green Scours

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Truly, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Truly

Truly New Member

I thought that I had read a discussion b4 about what the different colors of scours meant, but I certainly could not find it.

I have three or four kids with green scours. Does this need anything more than probios?

Of course, the two doelings I want to keep both have it.

One doeling, Pearly, also has some swelling in her vulva and a temp of 103.6. For Pearly I gave probios and 1cc penicillin this AM. (I was late for church so I was in a hurry.) Is 5cc per 100lbs the correct dosage for penicillin?

The swelling in her vulva is not normal heat swelling. It seems irritated. We shaved her hiney yesterday so I'm guessing that maybe a hair got in there and irritated it. I did put some prep H on it also.

Is there anything else I should be doing for Pearly?

TIA

2. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

My first thought when I read "green scours" was Cocci. I'm not sure though. Have you started them on a cocci prevention plan yet, such as Corid?

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Black is usually cocci
    Yellow is generally bacterial ie ecoli (but found in newborns as normal)
    green can be anything from changes in feed, new green grass, overeatting to bacterial
    smelly/ PUTRID is bacterial ie: generally ecoli...
    the kind of smell that makes you wretch
    sulfur type acrid smell
    white can be ecoli

tis in Goat 101
    use banamine to slow the gut

4. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

Interesting....Thanks Sondra. I learned something new today. :)

5. Truly

Truly New Member

Thank you Sondra for the quick run down on the scours.

I don't usually worry to much about green scours as it most often happens when they start getting fresh greens. We green up kind of late here in Wyoming. Not all of the trees are in full leaf yet.

I probably wouldn't have even posted if Pearly weren't having the additional symptom of a slight fever and the swelling in her vulva. So it appears that would be a separate issue. I'd still like to know if I have the Penicillin dosage correct. (5cc per 100lbs, is that once or twice a day?)

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I use 3cc per 50 pounds subq. Twice a day if with fever. It wouldn't be my choice of drug for something like this though. If you really think it's an irritation than give her some childrens benedryl. Take another temp, 103 here isn't antibiotic temp. Vicki

7. Truly

Truly New Member

Thank you so much Vicki.

If the swelling is an infection, what antibiotic would you recommend?

I'll be watching her closely. The swelling is about the size of a cherry. Her poor bottom just looks so sore. I'd like to do what ever I can to get her over it quickly.

Would a picture help?

8. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I would deworm them and drench with some Decoxx-M/water solution. I mix it all together in a syringe whatever dewormer I am going to use and then I take 1 teaspoon of Decoxx-M and mix it with a little bit of water and suck it all up in the syringe and squirt it in their mouth. Then I do the Decoxx-M drench for 3-5 days in a row. This is what I do on my boer goats. They are dam raised. My dairy babies get Decoxx-M in their lambar every day.

9. Truly

Truly New Member

I just got back from checking her. The swelling of her vulva has gone down almost completely. However her temperature was 104.8. She still has scours, but so do a couple of others. I'm pretty sure it's just that they are really increasing their food intake.

I gave 2cc of Penicillin. Do you think Bio-Mycin would be a better choice for an anti-biotic, or should I just continue with the Penn?

10. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Treat the skin topically with chlorhexideen. Use an antihistimine like benedryl and there are livestock ones to dry up the problem. What is her temp now? Vicki