Grains

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Madfarmer, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Madfarmer

Madfarmer New Member

I'm still having trouble getting the girls to eat anything but hay & browse. I wouldn't be concered, except grain feeding is how I'd hoped to slip them their minerals, which they won't touch free choice, either. Anyone have a suggestion? I've tried gooping it up with molassas(no luck), & peanut butter, which was only partly successful. I've never heard of a ruminant that wouldn't literally kill itself eating grain. I'm bumfuzzled. :help

Tom

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Gooping it up with peanut butter and molasses? Seriously?

Is the grain fresh?

Sara

3. Haglerfarm

Haglerfarm New Member

Usually if they are not eating their mineral they don't need it. Mine scarf it at times, other times hardly touch it. Do you not have a way to keep the minerals out free choice?
    And if my goats had good hay and browse and did well I would be thrilled. That is what they were designed for.
    Now, they might not milk as well. I am sure they will come around. Is the grain and mineral fresh. goats are very picky eaters.
    Les

4. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Have you tried just straight clean oats? a low salt mineral?
    It might help to know what all you keep out free choice and what types mineral and grain you've offered. For example, if they won't touch the mineral and are scarfing sodium bicarbonate or salt you could take both of those away for a few days at least while you introduce the mineral free choice. I don't think my girls would like mineral on their grain either. They will hardly touch pelleted feed since the acclimatization to whole grain mix (oats, black oil sunflower seed, and cracked corn).

5. FRW

FRW New Member

I use 5 lbs Whole Oats, 5 lbs Barley, 5 lbs Whole Soybeans. 2 1/1 lbs Beet Pulp, 2 1/2 lbs Bloak Oil Sunflower seeds as a feed mix for my goats.Molasses will cause clumpy poop and each get 1/2 lb of Calf Manna daily (we use Milk Plus by Nutrena) and free choice alfalfa pellets.I personally never offer molasses feed . Some do before kidding for ketosis!
    Ours only get grain if we are milking and 30 days before kidding we start back up with the Calf Manna and Grain if the doe seems to need it.But usually not.
    The tech master blue bonnet is a good form of minerals. But our tractor supply will not order it.
    So I have to buy a 13 /13 cattle mineral with at least 2200 ppm of copper you will hAVE tO read the label to get the correct one closest to what you will need.Go to your local tractor supplu first
    WE use 4 parts minerals, 1 part kepl, 1 part Diamond V yeast miwed well fed free choise. This will keep them eating the mineral year around. I do also offer loose salt but I do not leave much out as they hardly eat it.We also offer sodium bicarb in a seperate mineral feeder also free choice. This helps them keep the acidity down in their rumen.
    We only put out enough minerals to last approx. a week because of the humidity here in the south they will clump up very fast.Also each in a different container. Look at the post on mineral feeders it is a reall good idea for feeding goats monerals. It is made out of PVC pipe. In expensive also. Wish I would have know that before buying them.
    Hope this helps on the minerals and feeding...
    If you are feeding alflafa or alfalfa pellets your does are getting good nutrition as well as vitamin and calcium.
    Try the mineral the Kelp and Diamond V yeast can be bought at your feed store it really works to keep the mineral consumption up.

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Tom see if you can't get Tech Master Complete minerals where your at TSC orders them in for us.

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Tom keep doing what you are doing until you visit. How old are your two does? Older juniors or yearlings waiting to be bred don't need any grain and do wonderful on hay and browse. First you have to look at your hay. It should be supplying all the calcium, roughage and most of the protein in the goats diet. If you aren't feeding alfalfa than use the grass hay available, but start the girls on alfafa pellets. When you come up you can pick up some minerals from me...TSC sells the minerals I use Bluebonnet Tech Master Complete in Porter on your way up you could also pick up a bag if you want.

I use a meat goat pellet and a calf manna knock off on my kids, but with yours being older you could simply use oats and a calf manna knock off with a small amount of either corn or BOSS as your fat..

When you start really looking at all the different ingredients everyone uses, none has more carbs, more fat, more protein or a better mineral mix than just oats, corn and a calf manna (soy supplement pellet) knock off. At some point you have to say when, on what you feed. The mineral I use has kelp and yeast and 3 forms of copper in it, copper is huge and you will hear this over and over, as you relearn all this. You want more than just copper sulfate in the mineral you feed making that over 1000 PPM on the bag...for our area. It keeps your feet hard, keeps breeding difficulties at bay etc. And when you are up, write it down so you don't forget, ask about getting some Bo-se from me to give to you does prebreeding until you have a vet you can work with for the basics.

Be careful adding other forms of sodium like bicarb...it gives them a choice of fixing their cravings of sodium with it rather than the mineral they need. Is your head exploding yet :) Vicki

8. Madfarmer

Madfarmer New Member

They were born on April Fools day, of course! I get my alfalfa from Steinhauser's--it's some of the best I've ever seen--very leafy. The mineral I'm giving them is Manna-Pro brand from TSC. When you talk Calf Manna--are you talking the original Albers brand or a knock-off? The pellets I tried first were the same brand Lisa & Christian were using. I really suspect that it started with the Rubbermaid feed tub. It was an old one that had been used by many other critters, and I think they just didn't like the smell--I'm guessing, of course.

Tom

9. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Tom......I try to keep up with pulse of how some goats are doing at other places, and even on this forum, I think you will find some of us jabbering right now about our goats eating habits getting a little screwy. I personally have an Alpine that I've posted about in one of the alfalfa threads, and she's done an opposit on me in the last month or so.
    Some folks are saying that it's seasonal and very natural in many ways. Some say that the hormonal changes has something to do with it. I have a doeling here that every time she came into heat this late summer and fall, she would just about go off feed for 2 or 3 days. I was very concerned about her, but Kaye says not to worry...this can be stressful times, and very normal behavior at times.

"""" Around here...that is normal for doelings. They expend so much energy "trying" to get bred that it sets them back a few days.
    Mine will hang on the fence for about a day &1/2, not eat...even hay, drink only when they get REALLY thirsty. Even some of my milkers will do this. """" Kaye

Maybe some of this is coming into play at your place too...don't know.....but it's something to stick in your mind anyway.

Here....now that all of mine are bred ....they have all become hogs. Just some of them have adjusted their taste buds a bit.

WHIM

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Knock off as a general rule animax is one.

11. chewie

chewie New Member

not more than a few weeks ago my girls were off their feed, turns out the feed itself had gone bad. now i have new feed, and they are doing very well.

interesting that some go off feed when in season. that explained another few days of confusion for me. this site is a goldmine.

as of now, i'm doing 50/50 oats and corn, some BOSS, and as of tonight, a small amt. of soybean meal (which they licked the bowl clean!). i have used beet pulp, as well, but am now wondering if the boss and/or pulp is even necessary?

2 days ago i got a couple small bales of hay rather than using the big round bale i had, and i noticed today my milk pail was more full. hmmm....maybe i need new hay too.