graining in the last 2 mo of pregnancy?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Thermopkt, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

I'm about to dry up my doe for the last two months of her pregnancy. She gets roughly 1 1/4 lb of grain per milking. Actually, I haven't weighed it. I just use 1/3 to 1/2 of a 2.5 lb coffee can. Once I stop milking her, do I reduce the grain. I know she still needs to have some, but is the milking ration too much? She also get free choice grass hay or pasture and free choice alfalfa pellets and minerals.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Nope during last two months no grain at all util 100 days bred then gradually introduce the grain increasing until 1lb morning and evening feedings until freshening. Read Sue Reith article on hypocalcimia in Goat 101.

3. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

When I dry my does up, I just quit with the whole milking schedule.. I'll make sure they have enough alfalfa pellets the night before, so I don't have to go in, in the morning, to give them that and they always have hay in the barn anyway so that is a mute point. I'll go in the barn later in the day when they've all gone to pasture, and refill their alfalfa pellets, top off their water and get some cleaning done. If for some reason I need to keep someone on grain, I'll bring them into the front area and give them their feed in a bucket. Or If one needed to feed the whole crowd, the feed could be spread in their alfalfa feeder.. but I guess the point is, is that the milking routine, feed, milkstand & whatnot gets disrupted and is done with.

Now, I do start feeding grain again about 50 days prior to kidding. I usually do that up on the milkstands for a time, just to get them up there, but as they get further along, and bigger, I'll just spread it in the trough and bring them back into the milkroom after they've kidded.

EDITED TO SAY.. that I start drying my does at about 100 days bred, and then start graining them again at 50 days pre-kidding.

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

What kind of shape is your doe in? Mine are usually starting to gain some weight, not milking like they should, heavy bred and a tendancy to being easy keepers anyway. If I kept my milkers on the same amount of grain when dry as when they are milking they would be fat fat fat when they freshen. Plus too much grain like that gives you all sorts of pregnancy problems. If she is in need of gaining, than perhaps half her milkstand grain. Mine go from their normal 1 pound in the am and 1 pound in the pm on the milkstand, to a handful...which gets increased slowly, weekly, until they are back to their milkstand amount right before they kid. Vicki

5. Thermopkt

Thermopkt New Member

She is in good condition, I think, and at the moment, I'm getting 4 lbs a day out of her. So when I dry her up, she should go to a tiny bit of grain and very slowly work her way back up by kidding time? Is it better to err on the side of caution regarding the grain rather than too much? Free choice alfalfa still ok or should I ration that too so as not to overbalance that cal:phos ratio?

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

alfalfa is a complete balance so I always give at least 3lbs per goat per day or free choice and yes a tiny bit of grain is right to error on the side of.