Grain on the Milkstand

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by coso, Mar 13, 2008.

1. coso

coso Guest

How much do y'all feed on the milkstand? Do you go by the lbs of milk they give? More to FF ? I weighed feed last night and figured I'm giving two that are milking about 11lb a day about 4 1/2 lb of feed and one that is milking about 7lb a day about 3 1/2 lb a day of a oats, cracked corn, and protein pellet feed at 16% protein topdressed with BOSS. Wanting to see what everyone else is doing.

2. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Free choice on the milking stand.

3. coso

coso Guest

So by free choice do you mean you let them stand there and eat until they quit?

4. We bring up 4 does at a time so they have maybe 15-20 minutes while all get milked to eat. The milkers also have free choice grain in their loafing area.
    Becky

5. Odeon

Odeon New Member

I bring in 4 at a time, they get a scoop of grain, more if they finish it.. but when I am done milking the last one, they all go out; if they have finished eating or not.

Ken in Idaho

6. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

I milk one at a time, they eat while I am milking and cleaning up, then when I'm ready for the next goat they get off, willing or not. Usually not.

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I bring 4 in at a time (last year it was just 3 so yeah!) they all get set amounts of grain, depending upon how much they milk and how fat they are. It's a balancing act the first 8 weeks, but then their grain amount is fairly set. FF get as much as they want and are also given more time to eat. But 2 pounds (by weight) of grain per doe per day up to maybe 4 or more. As large as Dove is again if she quads again and milks like she did last year she will likely again get as much as she wants.

Only my FF get alfalfa pellets after the milk, everyone else gets the feeder filled before so they have something to nibble on before and after being milked...but FF need all the incentive they can to come in the milkroom, jump up and eat, and hunger is the best incentive. Vicki

8. Janelle

Janelle New Member

depends on the doe...one is an easy keeper, so she gets about a pound. One is having trouble keeping her weight up, and she gets all she wants :)

9. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

I feed free-choice on the stand. By this I mean that I bring two does out at a time. One eats from a feeder near the stand, one gets milked and eats on the stand. Then they switch places. When both are milked they get put back out and the next two brought in. I milk fast, so they are in there at the *most* 5-10 minutes.

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I put out 2 lbs ea doe 3 come in at a time and trade places on the milk stand. when I am done milking all three they go out. and have alfalfa pellets outside before and after milking. Now that being said heavier milkers get more But I have a LaMancha that would eat grain till the cows came home and would founder by giving her free choice. Been there and done that nobody here gets free choice grain.

11. Leo

Leo New Member

free choice, except for the one that I milk really fast, she gets the rest of hers while I'm milking the other doe.

12. coso

coso Guest

Sounds like I'm doing about like most people. I put one on the stand put about 2 1/4 lbs of grain in front of her milk her, put another one up milk her, then get the first one down and put her out and usually she has pretty well cleaned it up then I put the third up milk her, put the second one out then I usually have to wait 5 min or so for the third to eat her grain. They have free choice alfalfa in the barn. Just wanted to know how everyone else managed this. Thanks. :biggrin The whole process usually only takes about 20 to 25 min.

13. eliya

eliya New Member

My girls are taken out one at a time and they get to eat while we milk them. Then they are done. If I have one that isn't holding her weight with that, then I will let her eat longer. I have one doe that I let have as much as she wants because she puts it ALL in the milk pail - it doesn't matter how much we feed her. She won't eat much more than she eats while we are milking though.

14. lyceum

lyceum New Member

All our girls get some in their pen and the rest on the milkstand. Most of ours cannot eat enough on the stand for what they milk. We start out with whatever amount we know the doe can eat while being milked and then add more as they get dancy. Ours are milking very very well on this method. More milk than we know what to do with.

Carisa

15. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

I guess I am underfeeding grain.

Mine get 1-1/2 pounds oats on the milkstand twice a day. So 3 pounds a day of oats. I put a handful of beet pulp in there too and add a squirt of corn oil for fat. They get all the alfalfa pellets they want free choice. And coastal hay.

I always worry about bloat so I tend to underfeed grain rather than overfeed.

16. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Diane your goats are fine. I couldn't even imagine what my older girls would look like getting free choice grain for 20 mintues twice a day, not sure I keep that much grain around :) If it ain't broke, don't fix it Diane. And nobody read these answers and move from your 1 pound a day to free choice, you will founder, cause acidosis or bloat your doe. Vicki

17. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels New Member

And I measured this morning to see how much my does actually eat during the time I allow them to "free-choice"? Only one doe ate over 1-1/2 lbs in her allotted time......and most ate only 1 lb. ;)

18. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

:D good!

19. Rence

Rence New Member

Probably a dumb question, but how much is a pound of grain in cups? I do have a hanging scale, and I came up with 1 lb as approximately 2 cups? does that sound right? I use Dumor goat feed.

Right now I feed everyone 2 cups of grain a day and free choice hay. Some friends say I'm feeding too much, some say I'm feeding too little. My nubian kids are pretty lean though... not sure what I should feed my 5 year old after she kids next week. I figured I would watch her very carefully and gradually increase.

Any suggestions?