Grain feeding

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Madeleine M., Feb 23, 2008.

1. Madeleine M.

Madeleine M. New Member

We are very interested mixing our own feed. We currently feed Purina, but we are going to try to save money by mixing our own grain. Does any one know what ratio of grains I would need to feed heavy bred or milking does.

Does anyone mix their own feed for laying hens? They are getting Purina right now too.

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I do feed my hens a laying pellet. But daily they get sprouted with goats milk oats from the milkstand. They lay well and look wonderful.

With all the work I have done on my mineral program, I don't feed sacked grains byproduct feeds. I feed oats, clean whole oats on the milkstand. I add rice bran for fat, you can also use Black Oil Sunlfower Seeds or just oil...and right now with my alfalfa pellets down to 15% I am adding soybeanmeal also. My girls look great and milk good on just oats, because the mainstay of their diet is alfalfa pellets. Vicki

3. Madeleine M.

Madeleine M. New Member

Thank you, Vicki.

Right now, while they are pregnant, do I need to be concerned that too much alfalfa pellets will make them have kids that are too big?

4. NubianSoaps.com

No. It's grain that does that. Start them slowly onto grain when 100 days bred, which means that since they are just then drying up, most goats on your dairy will never be without grain, just alot less when you are not milking them. Then back slowly to full grain rations right before they kid. Then tweaking on the milkstand, more or less for condition and amounts of milk. Here a doe who needs to gain weight is grained heavier during the dry period, during lactation a doe who needs more is given more alfalfa pellets. Remember it's just alfalfa hay, nobody is rationing their alfalfa hay in working does to keep them lean during pregnancy.

Fat adults and oversized kids are rarely going to be a problem at your dairy with does in production 10 months out of the year, bred and milking. It's usually things seen in does who are 'loved to death' and given time off :) Vicki

5. Vicki, What kind of rice bran do you use?

6. Melissa

Melissa New Member

I haven't looked into the price of soybeanmeal here (or if they can even order it) but I use calf manna in it's place. just a little per doe or kid, about the amount that will fit in the palm of my hand.

-Melissa

7. SBM...is roughly right now at about 9 bucks a bag.

One of the best rations I have ever fed was a OLD stand by ration. 3 parts corn 1 part SBM. That gives you right at a 17% ration. They have found time and time again that is a hard ration to beat with animals

ken in mo

8. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

My goats do not like sbm or straight alfalfa pellets . I think I just have odd goats .

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I do just as Vicki but am still mixing
    whole race horse oats/barley/Boss/beet pulp and cracked corn
    100lb oat
    100lb barley
    25 lb corn
    25 lb boss
    20lb beet pulp
    This has been working for me for over 6 yrs now and since barley and oats are abt the same in price I'm sticking with them both. now I will be going to sunflower oil because of the price of BOSS and I have just too many goats.
    but Nobody dry gets grain only grass hay and alfalfa pellets (mine are 14%) till 100days bred

Dumb I know but what is SBM?

10. NubianSoaps.com

Soybean meal. We used to raise our kids on SBM and corn chops, then moved to flake corn as they got a little size to them. My goats love SBM it really is the only feed on the farm that I worry about...if the does had a chance to get out, through their door, through a gate, through a door in the feed room and then into a can :) they would eat all the SBM in one sitting.

I don't know what you mean by what kind of rice bran....it's like flour made out of the ground bran of the rice. The best part of the rice is taken out for white rice...it is then ground for animal feed...13% protein here, 13% fat and 13% fiber. Oddly even being this flour type product the girls love it, like yeasts they lick every speck up.

Someone on here is feeding something very cool. She is mixing oats and barley 50/50 as the base of her feed. Then topdresses with goat granola (I told her I was going to steal this :) Corn, Boss, Calf Manna and Beet Pulp. This way the does ration of oats and barely increase or decreases for production and flesh, the goat granola is a constant topdressed over their grain on the milkstand, or even babies in their pens. Cool cool idea. And a money saver rather than mixing these high priced products into your base grain and over supplementing them because they need more grain. vicki

11. Sondra

Sondra New Member

so is she actually making granola out of the stuff or just calls it that and topdresses with it?

12. NubianSoaps.com

No she is calling it goat granola, which I think is really cool and am going to copy it :) vicki

13. Sharpgoat

Sharpgoat New Member

I would love the Recipes for goat granola :D
    How much of the goat granola would you feed :???
    I like Sondra's mix but I have been thinking of what a mess I could make try to mix the feed in my small barn.
    (the mice's would like that) :lol
    Fran

14. Melissa

Melissa New Member

Fran, that's what chickens are for! lol

-Melissa

15. Keeperofmany

Keeperofmany New Member

I have a dumb question. I feel stupid asking this, but what is calf mana? :blush

Wendy

16. The only rice bran I have heard of is Max E Glo (spelling might be slightly off) Is that what you feed? If not where do you get your rice bran?

Thanks!!