Grain cost are through the roof

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by steffb, Mar 15, 2008.

1. steffb

steffb New Member

I just payed $14.35 for 80 lbs of whole oats. That bring my total per goat, per day up to over $2 not including hay. That means they need to bring in an additional $2 a day of milk. Can they possible milk another quart aday. I do not think so. These are not purebred goats, no milk in bloodlines and are now milking from 4lbs to 12 lbs aday.
    I just might have to rethink the feeding .
    How are all of you dealing with the increased costs.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yep the cost just keep going up and I am digging into family money so my solution is to cut down on the amount of goats I have.

3. Leo

Leo New Member

I hear your pain! A bag of WO at TSC was $12/50# this week. Moldy cow hay $50/roll last month, good hay starts at $70.
    I've cut my herd down to who pays for themselves, and am trying to grow some grain but it just cushions the blow. I just remember when I though $8/50# bag was expensive. :sigh
    Megan

4. Katarina

Katarina New Member

I am getting ready to head to the Co-op right now and am already anxious! The prices were edging up, but just by a ddime or so per 50lb bag, but each time I go I expect to be stunned--there just isnt anyway that they cant raise the prices with what wheat and corn are going for these days!

5. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I just paid 8.00 for 80lbs of oats. You need to go to feed mills not agway and buy bulk grain to get costs down.

Stef I think you need to ditch some of your 4lb a day girls .Keep only the high producing ones and breed up with good bucks. If it were me I would sell everything I was not attached to and start with some good milk line goats. The goats milking 4lbs are getting the same care as the 12lb a day ones. Whichs makes more sense ?

Patty

6. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

YEP! They will continue to spiral as the dollar loses value and fuel prices rise. Also the farmers are being given more incentives to grow corn for ethanol. But it isn't just feed prices - groceries and pretty well everything else is going through roof too.

7. buckrun

buckrun New Member

WE the people need to go thru the roof! The pinch won't stop till we scream!

Payed 10.50 for 50#UNCLEANED oats here. Thank goodness 15% alfalfa is still "only" 8.75.
    This ethanol scam is killing off the small livestock grower. We have been told there will soon be no more 'finished' beef - just grass fed- not that I care- let them eat goat! The fastest growing meat biz around is goats in east Tejas. Plenty to eat there for those mowing machines.

Vote for term limits -it might cure some of the problems.

Heh Leo- can you grow grain without farm equipment or kids for slave labor???
    what I mean is do you plan to harvest and store it or just turn them into it periodically when it is ready?

Lee

8. KUrby

KUrby Guest

Ok today, oats per 50/uncleaned now was 11.00! Our horse feed by the TON went up to 8.25. Alfalfa 9.00 per 50. Corn chops 8.50 per 50. and was warned by Monday it's thru the roof on all of it.
    I am very frustrated at all of this and another thing that was said today was. A big feed mill in LA will stop making all feeds and selling there corn to the bio people. That means my cheap dog food will be NO more, cat food , catfish food etc.. and bulk corn, will all go to them. Once they fill the sacks they have bought that's it! OUr feed store has been buying from them for 12 yrs.
    If this keeps up then the mills that will still make feed will have a cornered market and will get whatever they want for feed and we will have to pay it or get out of business.
    We are now trying to have a self suffeicient farm. Beef, goats, chickens(eggs, hatching to sell biddys, and meat). Gotta do something!
    I am ready to park my truck, it's a diesel and it's 3.92 a gal! Now I don't know about you, but that is just plain out of hand. I would like to get me a hybrid vehicle, but can't afford a car note. URGH! and the saga continues.

We are now selling out of the horse business as well the feed for them is too high,so it will only be cattle for us from here on out. It is costing us alot to fatten out our steer, horse and mule has gone up to 8.50 a 50lbs
    So may have to just have grass fed from here on out. Hmm
    Well that's enough said I guess. But I think if we try and do more on our farms and not drive, and not spend our hard earned money in there stores and do some bartering amoung other farmers, we might do ok .
    K

9. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

Just a side note as I am a corn farmer. We are not paid incentives to grow corn. Ethanol companies, Feed companies, Livestock producers, Food companies are all competing for bushels and paying higher prices. There are no government payments to produce more corn at this time. There is a minimum payment program but with prices at this level, this is not in effect.
    Along with looking for good deals on grain, we all should be sure of the quality we are buying. It does no good to buy poor quality just because it is cheap especially in grain and hay. And the others are right, why are we feeding the same 4# when one 12# milker will replace 3 of those!
    Tim

10. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

oats still $10.10/50lbs here....

but

alfalfa pellets went from $9.80 to $10.60.... 80 cents!

11. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

I just paid 12.95 for 50 lbs of oats the other day. I couldn't believe it! They were like 8.20 per 50 a few months ago. I just can't believe it.

12. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Not only that, but I'm told vehicles don't get as good gas mileage off of the ethanol too!

13. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

$11.00/50lb. cleaned whole oats and same $ for alfalfa.

14. steffb

steffb New Member

Well it is the unattached part that I have a problem with, also the 4lb a day milkers don't eat as much as the others. I will be getting rid of three of them this summer. Gotta love the summer camps here. They all want animals.
    I am already charging $9 a gallon of raw milk. I do not think my market will support much more at this time.

15. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

[/quote]
    Just a side note as I am a corn farmer. We are not paid incentives to grow corn. Ethanol companies, Feed companies, Livestock producers, Food companies are all competing for bushels and paying higher prices. There are no government payments to produce more corn at this time.Tim [/quote]

I didn't mean by my statement concerning incentives that the government was paying farmers to grow corn for ethanol. I realize though incentives is a term used for that. The incentives that I was speaking of were the higher prices driven by ethanol production. I don't think people realized that the demand for ethanol would make food prices go higher - they were just hoping for a cheaper source of fuel. Fuel is certainly not cheaper and now all food is more expensive. Since corn is high in price and there is a great demand for it, then it forces the price of all food grains upward. Beef, chicken, pork and all meats will cost more at the grocery because it is more expensive to produce... Then wheat and other cereal grain rises in price too. Milk skyrockets and with diesel costing almost $4 bucks a gallon - a $100 bill won't hardly fill a tank.
    Your dollar just lost its value against rising prices.

16. Brit.Tex

Brit.Tex Guest

Another problem, as the poster just above me mentioned is that our dollar has been falling in value for years now. As of 2000, it's lost 45% of it's buying power! The reason for that is that when the government needed more money, the Federal Reserve printed it. BUT - there is nothing of value backing all the new money printed, it's only worth the paper and ink that it was printed with.

So, yes - everything costs more dollars at the store, the feed mill, the gas station - because the dollar is worth less than it was. Add to that the rising cost of oil ($110 a barrel) - which makes the diesel fuel and gasoline to run tractors, makes the fertilizer that is spread on the fields to make crops grow, makes the fuel to harvest the crop, the fuel to take it to the mills and processors and packagers, and then the fuel to haul the product to the consumer, whether it is for making ethanol (a very bad idea, corrodes the engine, is 1/3 less energy dense than gasoline, and costs as much fuel to make as is produced), animal feel, or human food, and we shouldn't be surprised that the end product costs us more.

Of course, I'm not happy about that - I have to pay higher costs just like the rest of us. The comfort I can take is that I am able to consume a superior product in my home that is produced on my place - and some of it I DO grow. At least during the summer I have pasture and browse for the goats, and the hens get to free range for bugs and vegetation to produce my omega 3 enriched eggs :D I'm not able to produce the grain for my animals - yet. But we are giving it another shot this year and who knows?

For the time being, I was able to stock up on some feedstuffs last year, but we still have to buy oats and alfalfa pellets too. We are looking at cutting down on the number of goats we have because we are trying to have a streamlined and efficient cost wise production.... We don't sell goat's milk soap, we don't sell goat's milk either. We want enough milk for our needs, and sometimes we give the extra milk to the other animals. But we do NOT need more than half a gallon a day, there are just two of us.

It's getting "interesting" folks.. and those of us that are on some land, with our livestock and gardens will be very thankful for what we have, because I think it's going to be more difficult in the suburbs. And someone also mentioned not driving as much. That makes excellent good sense to me too - it's not productive to drive ten miles or five miles into town just because you want to rent a movie. It never was, but now it's not cheap either!

We switched to alfalfa pellets last year from alfalfa hay because the pellets were cheaper per 50 lb bag than a bale of the hay was. AND there is much less wasted, plus the quality of the alfalfa hay was VERY variable, sometimes just dried out stems, etc. It's still the better deal for us - though our goats much preferred the leafy alfalfa hay!

And I do have one question, I have noticed some of you feed oats that have not been steam rolled - can you tell me if that is better? I suspect it's cheaper than the processed variety. Or maybe I should ask that question in another thread.

Cheers
    Deb

17. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

I was afraid of that...the oats that we feed the goats on the milkstand jumped by $2 per 50lb bag since last month.

yuck.

18. buckrun

buckrun New Member

Lots of great points there Deb!
    One observation- our national fuel stockpile is at an all time high.
    There is no shortage and no impending disaster to cause one. It is wall street run amok with no grip on the reality of what thier money games do. It is all numbers on a screen and not grounded in life experience for them but I do not believe that they could not predict rising food prices from the ethanol scam. The farmers did!

Aid agencies are saying food stocks world wide are the lowest ever...

Wow Steff- 9 $ a gallon- congrats on that! Here in the back end of nowhere they think 6 is highway robbery or I guess I should say dirt road robbery so that means our feed should be cheaper than yours right??
    Lee

19. Bethany

Bethany New Member

I'm charging 10 bucks a gallon for my milk this year, and I don't feel bad about it either because of all the money I pour into feed.

20. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

Lee, Wall Street does not trade oil, corn or any other commodities, the Commodity Exchanges do. So I am not sure what you mean by the games Wall Street plays. And I also do not know of the ethanol scam you talk about. I am a farmer owner in an ethanol plant and have run 10% ethanol in all of my vehicles for 20 years. No farmers predicted $5 corn, 2 years ago. I don't wish to place blame for high grain prices, I am losing plenty on my livestock enterprises because of them too. Just get your facts straight before placing blame.
    Tim