Got my Kefir today! Now what?!

Discussion in 'Cheese & Dairy' started by baileybunch, Nov 16, 2007.

1. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

I don't think it will make a difference if you do it this time, but the rule of thumb is no metal.

Christy

2. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

We tried it! My daughter kept calling it "Mongolian Milk Beer"! :biggrin She's so funny. We don't have a blender so I don't think we had optimum flavor. We used blackberry jam and honey. It was tart and almost wine tasting with the bb jam! Interesting. I need a blender...a VITAMIX! :biggrin I'm holding out! But it worked. I strained it and started another batch, too. Those grains are FAT! Thanks again!

3. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

:rofl I have actually heard that before! I'm glad it's working for you :biggrin

Christy

4. prairiecomforts

prairiecomforts New Member

This sounds really interesting! I think I might want to try it in the spring - where can you get the starter grains?

5. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

Christy sent me my grains. :D My second batch is about ready! I still haven't gotten a good strainer though. This time I left it out but put it up in the refrigerator before it began to separate. It's nice and thick. Since I don't have any good mixing appliances, I just added my kefir to 1/2 of my bottle of Naked juice. Tasty!

I have another question. How much Kefir (grains) do I need per 3/4 of quart jar. When can I start sharing my kefir with my friends and how much do I give them?

Thanks!

6. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

I'd say about 1/4 cup? Maybe a little less...

Christy

7. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

I leave mine til it separates and looks really really nasty. Then i eaither strain it and put the liquid in the fridge to cool and restart another jar with the grains OR I just put the whole jar of separated crud/grains in the fridge to cool and i strain it days later when i feel like it.

Like posted above, kefir is forgiving.

I don't worry about legnth of time or amount of separation or thickness or creaminess. I just make it haphazardly and drink it as it is. I will drink it warm and nasty straight from the jar. it is an aquaired taste but once you aquire it, there is no turning back.