Got my Kefir today! Now what?!

Discussion in 'Cheese & Dairy' started by baileybunch, Nov 16, 2007.

1. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

Okay! My kefir came in the mail today (Thanks Christy!) and I read the "really thick kefir" post but I want to make sure I do this right! What do I do? How long will Kefir keep once it's done doing whatever it does?

Thanks!

2. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Poor everything in the baggie into a qt jar, add enogh milk so that the jar is 3/4 full, set out at room temp for a 24-36hrs. Then you can strain it and start the process over or put the jar with the grains into the fridge for a few days or up to a week then strain, that's the thick way.

Kefir will last a long time. I have never had it go bad. I make it by the gallon and sometimes we don't drink it very quickly. I don't keep close track of it.

Christy

3. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

"Strain it" Okay, do I keep the fluid (milk or sour milk) after the kefir is strained? And what's in the strainer IS the Kefir, right? And that is what I add to a fresh jar of milk? Then I start over by leaving it out at room temp for 24-36 hours? Then refrigerate. I will have to read the other post about straining the thick Kefir.

Thank you. We will start our Kefir tomorrow with fresh milk!

4. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Susie, I'm not sure if I understand your question. When you strain it the stuff left in the strainer are the Kefir grains. That is what turns the milk into kefir. Was the milk in your baggie thick when you got it? If so that was Kefir :D If not it just didn't have enough time or it was too cold in transit.

BTW it is best not to use a metal strainer because it will weaken your kefir grains, I use a green gold fish net that is just for my kefir. A lot of people find plastic strainer that work well too.

Christy

5. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

Thanks for the information about the metal strainer! That's a handy tip. The kefir in the baggie was thin and grainy and warm-ish when it arrived yesterday. What I wanted to know was after I pour the kefir into the jar and add more milk and then let it set for 24 hours and then strain, what do I do with the fluid that strains OUT of the kefir grains? Do I discard that? I read to use cold milk, so I can begin my process today! I'm waiting on my sanitized jar to dry. :biggrin

6. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

No, you drink it :biggrin That is the Kefir... The Kefir grains turn milk into kefir, the strained fluid. The kefir can be thin like buttermilk or thick like yogurt. Either way it is still good yummy kefir :D The amount of grains left in the strainer will multiply, sometimes slowly, sometimes fast. Soon you will have enough to share ;)

So, you always have two things once you strain, the grains to make more kefir and the liquid kefir to eat.

Christy

7. Gabe

Gabe New Member

Hello everybody,
    I have no luck with kefir. It always dies on me. I never got the drink thick like I can buy it in the store. I'm also missing the fizz. :/

8. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

OKAY! When I got the Kefir in the mail yesterday I was busy and unsure about what to do so I stuck it in the refrigerator. When I took it out to put it in the jar with the milk, it was all thick like pudding! SOOOOOOOO...I put it in the jar and added some milk and have it out on the counter! Right? Sorry to be a Kefir ignoramous moron! We just had such a terrible time last time that I want to do it right! Now for the drinking...I don't think we'll be able to take it "straight". :? I don't have a blender or any other such contraption. What do we do to make it ah, more palatable? :biggrin

9. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Hey! We all are kefir newbies at the beginning :lol

The pudding... That was Kefir! You could have strained it before you added the milk :D If it tastes tart when you strain it this time it will be because of that. No problem though, your kefir will forgive you! Just follow through and it will all be fine.

Want to make something really easy and yummy? Add a couple tablespoons of jam (I used raspberry and marmalade) with a little vanilla. It's like yogurt only better
    :goat
    Christy

10. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

ah shoot... I got mine today and I thought I was supposed to strain it oops, now I know better...Thanks Christy....

Autumn

11. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

Okay, I got up this morning and my kefir/milk on counter looks like sour milk...it has separated. Is this okay? I gently shook the jar. This is where we got hung up last time. We just made sour milk. THANKS for the yummy recipe! We will try that! We have some awesome cherry, blackberry and peach jam! And I make my own vanilla extract! So, that will be a fantastic way to try it...after it passes through the sour milk stage. :?

12. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

It's fine! Refridgerate it for a day or two then strain. I usually catch mine before it separates, but no biggie!

You jam and vanilla sound soooo good :p

Christy

13. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

Before it separates?! Did I do something wrong? :/ Should I let it sit out until the 24 hours is up or put it up now? And that's not three flavors in one jam! It's three diffent flavors...no sugar added, all fruit! VERY good! :biggrin Sorry, I've just never had REAL Kefir before and want to make sure I'm not going to end up feeding my family sour milk!

14. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

You can put it in the fridge now :D If you wait too long it might get too tart for you. I'll walk you through it, making it thick and not tart. Then you can play around with it. I have a costumer that never puts hers in the fridge. She likes it tart. It's all just a matter of preference :biggrin

Christy

15. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

I find that the more grains I have in the jar ,the faster the kefir thickens and is less tart , but there is less kefir made due to the amount of grain's in the jar. You can thin the sour taste down by adding plain milk to the strained kefir but it wont be thick like pudding or bought yogurt. Remember homemade yogurt is not as thick as store bought as the store bought has gelatin added .

16. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

It's really thick today! I forgot to look for a non-metal strainer at WM yesterday. :( There was some "cheese" on the lid this morning so I "baby" tasted it. Very tart, almost like what sourdough starter might taste like? I haven't gotten the courage up to strain and try the Kefir yet. :blush I know. I need to. But first need to figure out how to strain it. It's thick and cream and clumpy! I think that's good!

Now after I strain it, I don't rinse the grains (gelatinous globs)? I just put them in the jar and pour milk to fill the jar 3/4 and then begin again? When can I begin sharing my grains? How much do I give as a "starter" to someone else?

Thanks! This is so neat but I am such a baby! No courage!

17. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

You got is Susie! You can share your grains as they double in quantity :biggrin If you want it less tart leave it at room temp for less time! At least it is nice, creamy and thick :p

Christy

18. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Yep mine is really thick and creamy today. I am going to the store to get some frozen juice concentrates and frozen berries to make smoothie. I also have some Mexican vanilla, how much would I had to make it like vanilla Kefir.

Thanks
    Autumn

19. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

It is really just a matter of taste Autumn, I use a couple drops for 8-10oz of kefir.

Christy

20. baileybunch

baileybunch New Member

Can I use a mesh strainer if it's all stainless steel?