Got my Dairy Clips done

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Cotton Eyed Does, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

YEA!! I actually got ahead of the game. I didn't get Syrah clipped and udder trimmed up before she had her triplets, but FINALLY got her and the other 2 done today. Everybody is gonna have cold butts if it comes another cold snap. :p Syrah is milking really well. She is making enough milk at 3 days fresh to feed her three babies plus the boer baby house goat and I have extra in the fridge. I've got 2 more goats due on the 22nd and 23rd of Feb. I really like getting this kidding overwith within a week. This is the first year I have not had kids due all over the place, way up in June, etc.

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

good for you I have yet to get this done. Should have today but just took the day to sit around.

3. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

I did mine a couple of days ago while everyone was at the feeder eating grain. You can tell who behaved and who didn't based on the bald spots-lol! I was to lazy to switch out the #40 blade I had on. The ones who jumped around look ridiculous!

4. I have one doe that I need to clip. But I keep putting it off. She's due Feb. 28th.

5. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I have eight does due in March, but there is no way I'm going to do much clipping here. The wind is just howling outside tonite and the nights get pretty cold for a while. My goats don't have very hairy udders, so I just leave them till warm weather and clip a little with a #5 blade on the long hairs on the tail and near their privates. Poor things would freeze if I took off too much hair. My friends FF La Boer got a chapped udder without even being clipped.
    Kathie

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I got my big cabinet moved today and got my 4th milkstand (new for Valentines Day) in place. Now just have to paint it the first nice day. Got some more DNA testing done and Big Bird gets done via the ADGA program for free! Yeah!

I have started pulling hair and storing it in white envelopes with the goats name and numbers on it, just in case...since you can't pull the hair after they are dead.

Next I have to clean the main barn and put down straw and shavings, and put in the two temporary kid pens...then dairy clip, but that won't be until the last first weekend of March. Vicki

7. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

That is just 12 days away. Where is this year going already?

8. Pairaka

Pairaka New Member

What is the hair for, if you don't mind me asking?

We're in the process of putting up wooden fence posts to fence off a 4-5 acre chunk of our property. Every 40 feet a wooden one then T-posts every 8 feet in between those. We put up the braces for gates this past weekend and about three corners. Basically got all of one side done. Now just three more sides to go and then we can put up the fencing.

I've been thinking about clipping my goats this year (at least a dairy clip). I'm thinking about getting one of those $5 clippers from Harbor Freight that Vicki pointed out in another thread. :) But then again, I think I'll just use the cooking spray idea on my Boer doe.

-- Wendy

9. NubianSoaps.com

For DNA testing. Wonderful on the fencing, remember exactly how that feels! Mine were fenced in with just barbed wire for years, it was all we could afford...then we slowly fenced. Vicki

10. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

How long can you keep the hair in the envelopes before you send them for testing? And where do you send them for testing? Okay and I'm curious to know why can't you pull it after they are dead? Does it matter what part of the body you pull the hair from? Just curious. (I have some babies that might need to be DNA'd this year depending on if they are keepers or not.)

Thanks
    Sheryl

11. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:shocked OH, &**^$%, I got one due Wed...uh, guess I better get that done on Tue. morning...especially since she's a SAANEN and they look like someone slit their throat and they bled on the other end. :really

Two babies on the ground and I'm still in DENIAL!! It isn't kidding time already!!?
    Kaye

12. NubianSoaps.com

I just twirl up some hair on their hoof, it needs to be clean hair. In fact Linda was over helping me, she was trimming a hoof so I took some hair on his front hoof, twirled it, then grabbed it with pliers and yanked it out. I asked her daughter if there were lots of white things on the hair, I didn't have my glassed on :) There were, so I tucked it into the envelope with his name and number on it and put it in the fridge. Once dead the folicles would be dead also.

DNA is easy, just call ADGA tell them you want to verify parentage. They will send you a kit and tell you to pull hair on each goat. Do each one, one at a time. Pull hair, put in envelope that you already put their name and number on, seal it...then do the next. Dam, Kids and any sires you think it is. Don't guess, because if it comes back no it's no now, so send in any sires it could be. This will also DNA type the adults, not verify their parentage but type them...a good thing to have them on file. It's $30 per test...I was lucky that Big Bird was asked to be DNA typed, part of the random sampling program. So now I will do his sire and dam and not only have them all on file but have Big Bird verified.

You can contact the lab yourself and have it done but it is $40 for each test, and it can't be used to verify parentage unless it goes through ADGA so the chain of paperwork goes from the lab to them.

As long as the envelopes do not get wet or hot, they are good for years, so it's a nice insurance. Plus the more folks DNA, the lower the prices will eventually be. Vicki

13. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

:rofl I just sent in buck papers on an Obie....OH,I DO HOPE he's the 40th buck! You lucky dog... If not, he's gonna' cost me $30...cause I want him DNA'ed! Still have to do my older Togg buck, shortly.
    Kaye

14. NubianSoaps.com

Kaye I am not saying this in any kind of official capacity but you may want to call the office and give them a headsup that if someone doesn't want to DNA their buck for free that you will. I am going to add this note to any bucks I register from now on. Vicki

15. Pairaka

Pairaka New Member

Ah. That's what I thought, but I thought I'd ask. :D

16. Pairaka

Pairaka New Member

:rofl

That is too funny. In a grotesque kind of way. :D

-- Wendy