Good Goat Coats?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Anita Martin, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

Are there any brands of goat coats that are warmer, stay on better, etc. than the rest? I ordered an amish coat from Hoegger, but have not gotten it yet, but I'm hoping it will at least be decent. Some of the horse blankets I have gotten have a wide belly band and are waterproof, warm, horses can't get them off, etc. I'm wondering if anyone makes any coats for goats of this quality?

Also, is there a pattern available, especially for kid coats? I need a few more and I can sew.
    Thanks,
    Anita

2. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Go to sew-it-alls.com it is Sheryl on here, her coats look really nice.

Autumn

3. I just get the dog ones from walmart. They worked well for our goats.

4. shawhee

shawhee Member

:yeahthat Autumn. I have a couple kid coats, and have ordered a regular one too. Love Sheryls stuff!

Shawna

5. Anita Martin

I inquired on baby coats with Sheryl a couple weeks ago, but hadn't heard back yet. I' really wanted to get in on that sale. I don't mind making my own if I can get started early enough.
    I did see some at walmart for dogs that I might get. Looks like they would work just fine.

6. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

Hi Anita, I didn't receive your email :sigh Try again, or pm me here on dgi. I will still let you in on the sale price since you tried to contact me and the email went into internet never never land. :yeahthat

Sheryl

7. MiddleRiver

MiddleRiver New Member

I also have to say i got some kid coats from Sheryl last year and used them this year and LOVE them ! I have an order in for a Jr. coat and some collars and can't wait :+) Other then that, before i knew about her, i bought some of these http://www.chicksaddlery.com/page/CDS/PROD/5000/CDB250

they seem to fit goats well as long as you get the right size, however they are best if you can attach some elastic for rear leg straps - otherwise when the goat puts it's head down the rear of the blanket lifts up. They do fit dogs very well too :+)

8. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

More kudos for Sheryl's coats. I bought a bunch last year. They are VERY Well made. I sew myself and pay attention to detail.

Christy

9. bonafide

bonafide Guest

I love the ones listed on your website! I have tons I've made for the barn dogs over the years (and the show dogs) and just altered them to work for the goats.

I've got tons I've knitted over the years for the dogs but found them not to work as well b/c of teeth hanging or nails - so I've put exteriors on them (sewn a solid fabric to the outside, usually using horse blanket material of a higher denier or waterproof) - warm and fuzzy on the inside -water/wind proof on the outside! :)

Good luck - I love seeing pictures of kid goats - soo cute (maybe it's just the kids LOL).

There was a girl who made the cutest coats out of sweatshirts or sweat pants - she posted her pattern somewhere, but I never could get it to work for me - always made them more of tube tops LOL).

10. Narrow Chance

Narrow Chance New Member

In a bind.. here in the south where it doesn't get to cold.. I use sweat shirt sleeves and sweat pant legs.

Takes a few to get it right.. but they turn out pretty good.. and easy to wash. I get all sizes of sweat pants at the thrift store. The 3XL makes larger ones for the yearlings.
    Just use the ankle opening as the neck opening.. measure down to the tail of the kid.. and cut at an angle.
    Make sure you cut far enough up for those buck kids to potty.. lol
    I cut two holes for the front legs.. with the seam going under the brisket. They slip on great.. and remove easy. I do the same for sweatshirt sleeves, for newborns.
    They sure are cute in those little turtleneck sleeves.. like little race horses with long ears.. lol

I've seen Sheryls coats.. and they are awesome!!

11. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

:blush2 :blush2 :blush2 Thanks guys

Sheryl

12. Haglerfarm

Haglerfarm New Member

I also make coats for my goats from old sweatpants legs and sweatshirt sleeves. They work really well.
    I have sew many others down through the years from this, that, the other.
    However, last year I got several coats for my baby goats when Sheryl had them on sale. They are very nice and well made. And they all match!
    Les

13. Anita Martin

I got my hoegger coat in the mail today. I thought I ordered green, but I got a really shiny, nice red. I don't like that it buckles in the front, but is not adjustable. I'd also like a wide, warm belly band. My doe did not like the leg straps, so I removed them, and got a pony strap and used that hooked to the dees in front of the udder made for the leg straps. Seemed to work. The neck opening is cut too low, should be higher. BUT, other than that, it's quite nice. It's really not warm enough either, although it's lined with fleece.

I have tried the polar shield dog coats. In fact, that was what I was using for my cold doe, with a polar fleece sweatshirt underneath. Schnieders saddlery is who I normally get my horse blankets from. They have a foal blanket I may try. I had one and let my neighbor use it for her foal a few years ago. If I remember right, it should be about the right size and I can get them in less than a week. If I could just get more weight on this one girl, she would be able to stay plenty warm without my help. Everyone else puffs up their hair and do just fine, no shivering or anything. All their hair has grown back from summer clipping too. My horses seem to have coats much thicker than normal this year and I've not seen a single one shivering so far. I've not had to blanket at all yet. I'm thinking with all that hair, winter might be worse than usual. I guess I'll find out soon.