goiter

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by country697, Sep 10, 2008.

1. country697

country697 New Member

I have a 2 year old Boer cross doe that I believe has a goiter. Is she missing something in her diet? She is on pasture and I have given them (19 hd) 2 loaves of bread every day. I keep a block of trace mineral out for them. She seems to be doing OK as far as eating and staying up with the herd. She just has a lump on her neck right behind her jaw. I appreciate any and all help. Thanks, Vicki

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Sounds like CL rather than a goiter.

I would have her tested.

Sara

3. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

What Sara said. A goiter is usually about were an adams apple is maybe a little higher up toward the jaw line on the front of the neck.

The place you dsescribed is classic cl . Isolate and test the puss. Keep everything bagged up , gloves on you and then burn it.

Patty

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Have you seen lumps like this on your other goats? Is she new to the herd? Vicki

5. MRFBarbara

MRFBarbara Guest

Vicki,
    goats cannot get enough minerals from block minerals, you need to use loose minerals, and get them some hay (dry to eat with the pasture) stop the bread for now.. Go to dairy goat info section and read read read...
    Barbara

6. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Bread is great for a treat...but, it shouldn't be used as their sole source of food.
    I use it with my does...BUT, it's given on the milk stand AFTER grain and each doe gets 2 slices. I also use it when I have a sick doe that refuses grain. If they are too sick to refuse bread, they are REALLY sick.

This sounds more like a CL abcess than a goiter. The *goiters* are usually in the throat latch area or below on the neck. Milk goiter.
    Kaye

7. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

And from the milk goiters I had this year they are big and soft. Not at all like a soft ball or even a golf ball.

Patty

8. country697

country697 New Member

Thanks for all your reply's. To get a sample would I just use a needle and syringe? This is not a new goat, she is 3 yrs old, born on my place.
    This is the first time I've seen this on my goats. They have been on pasture since June and it's came up since then. Vicki

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

If you haven't seen any abscess in the herd and have not added any new stock, we shall hope it is just a bite or a salivary gland. How about blood testing her first. This would be alot less invasive than sticking a needle into something. Make sure and send the blood test to UC Davis. IF you do aspirate the contents of the abscess, use a very large needle so you actually get material out of it and then tape it up and send the syringe and needle and everything in to UC Davis to test the exude for corybacterium.

I would keep her quaranteened for now, so you can watch for that abscess bursting, make sure you collect everything.

If it does come back as CL and you have never seen this before, no scars from previously having this at their old homes, than I would get rid of this one doe and blood test the rest of the group. Vicki