Goaty flavored milk

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Nana, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Nana

Nana New Member

Help! My milk is getting goaty flavored. It was wonderful two weeks ago when I chilled it in an ice bath. I clean the udders, sanitize them, squirt the first squirts into a cup to check for any changes (there haven't been any), put the milk in a clean kettle, filter them milk through a coffee filter and chill it in an ice bath right away. I haven't change the feed that I know of. I just think it tastes funny. I wonder if it is the hay. Anyone have any advice. My 2 1/2 year old can only drink goats milk and he notice the change also. He doesn't want to drink it when it tastes funny. It almost makes you feel like you have bad breath after you drink it. We have been drinking it raw. After I thaw it it I think it spoils faster than it should. This is the first spring I have milked. I have to find out how to test for mastitis. One of the does is no longer feeding her babies. She chases them away and they are 12 weeks. I noticed after one jumped up on the milk stand and tried to drink that she had a scratch from the baby on her udder. I think they are very rough.

2. hyamiranda

hyamiranda New Member

I don't have an answer for you, but I'm curious about what others say.

3. prairie nights

prairie nights New Member

Wendy,

this is not milk that is two weeks old, correct? It just tasted fine two weeks ago and now the new milk has a goaty flavor??

Jana

4. Nana

Nana New Member

Yes it is fresh milk. It has been happening for about two weeks but getting worse

5. Nana

Nana New Member

One jar I took out of the freezer and put it in the refrigerator. I drank a glass after a few hours and it tasted alright. After a few more hours it was already tasting spoiled in a cold refrigerator with ice crystals still in it. It was frozen right after the ice bath. My freezer is working and the refrigerator temperature is good.

6. Hollybrook

Hollybrook New Member

7. Rose

Rose New Member

So, you are using it from the frozen state, not the fresh, chilled milk, correct? One thing we learned is that if you are going to freeze milk, it *must* be frozen IMMEDIATELY after filtering (like you are doing), and in small enough containers that it freezes quickly.

I don't like frozen/defrosted milk at all, but that's me.

Did you change hay?

8. cariboujaguar

cariboujaguar New Member

If your hay is from a different field that the hay you have been feeding you can taste it in the milk sometimes... for instance if there is a shrug or weed in the bale, it could take awhile to flush the flavor out of the doe... but usually I can distinguish 'they got into the pine trees' or w/e, if she's just giving 'goaty' milk I'd check sanitation, is your barn clean? Are they lacking minerals which may lead to them nibbling things they usually wouldn't, even boredom can change their milk because they're like children and will get into all sorts of mischeif if they can... I would introduce them to as much grassy pasture as I could, that always freshens my milk...

9. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

Definitely check for mastitis. What is your milking routine?

10. Nana

Nana New Member

I am checking for mastitis when I milk tonight. I bought some tests. It is both the frozen and fresh milk that taste like this. I do quickly put it in smaller quart containers in the freezer surrounded by ice packs. I was using a new bale of hay but it is the same person I have always gotten hay from. I suppose it could be the hay because that is about when I started this bale. The bale is out now and I am going onto a new one. I don't have a lot of pasture here. I have a smaller field but haven't gotten out to get rid of bad weeds yet. I wouldn't want them eating those. I wonder if I can test the milk that is in the refrigerator?

11. Rose

Rose New Member

Most of the mastitis test kits for cattle are not very reliable for goats. Vicki can explain why. :/

12. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I would milk each goat and each teat into a seperate container. Few goats get mastitis in both halves at the same time unless overtly ill. Staph usually strikes one half and most of the symptoms are exactly as you are stating, poor keeping quality and eventually uneven halves. Label the jars you milk into and cool them quickly, then taste and see if you can see if it is nutritonal from both jars tasteing nasty...or is mastitis or injury in one side. Vicki

13. Nana

Nana New Member

Both tests sides of each goat came out negative. I will do the taste test today of each side. I will let you know what I find later.
    So far the milk has been fairly even. One udder on one goat is scratched from the baby biting when it eats. It has been scratched
    several times from that baby. The goat doesn't seem uncomfortable when being milked.

14. Nana

Nana New Member

I did the taste test. The goat that had the scratches on her teat tasted good on both sides even warm. The other goat Nana tasted goaty even though hers was chilled first. The mastitis test was negative for both sides. And suggestions what I should do. Both the goats get the same hay. The one that tastes funny has a buckling eating but he has been castrated at an early age and I know it went right. She is also in a pen with a castrated fainting goat. The goat whos milk tastes good is in the pen with her daughters and another older yearling doe. They also get the same feed and would be out on the same grassy area for awhile each day. I did notice some burdock. Would that make milk taste bad. There is also a different weed that is near their bar that they could have grabbed on the way back in. It has has some brown stripes on the leaves which are pointy and longer.

15. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats New Member

Good that you found out which goat has the goaty milk. When you say the tests were negative, is this a culture you had done?

16. Ozark Lady

Ozark Lady New Member

I was going to ask about the grains you are feeding. If I overfeed corn, I get milk that has oil floating on top and tastes...greasy?
    I noticed, the goat that you said has the goaty taste is in with male goats, the one without goaty taste is in with does... seems that could be the connection.
    Even castrated they are still males, and they still pee different, perhaps they are contaminating the feed or water, and it is coming through?
    Can you not move the doe that tastes goaty to the doe pen, and wait a few days, then taste test again? It might be the boys are spraying.

17. nightskyfarm

nightskyfarm New Member

Unless you did a CMT with fresh reagent or a sample to the lab for testing, any mastitis test can be inaccurate especially if it was developed for cattle. I suggest you do the CMT on all does and at that point if any come up slimy, take their samples from each half to the local lab for at minimum a SCC count and possibly a culture to see what grows. I doubt that it is the bucks' doing from my own personal experience. Since her milk did not taste bad before that tells me something in management has changed, the doe is cycling or you have a case of sub-clinical mastitis, mastitis under the radar as I call it. You will need to decide it you want to treat her or not.

18. Rose

Rose New Member

Simple test. Put all the milking does together. Give it a week or so to normalize. Test again.

Are the minerals different in each pen?

19. Nana

Nana New Member

I am going to separate them again. We will see. It started when I put one of the does and her buckling back in with the other whether.
    That was exactly when it started. The minerals are the same in both. I only used a cattle test kit from Fleet Farm for testing for mastitis. Maybe she is cycling. I didn't think about that.