% goats

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by sunnygrl_ks, Jul 22, 2008.

1. sunnygrl_ks

sunnygrl_ks Guest

Is there a place that explains how all the %, experimental, thing works. I need to read some info on that so I can figure out how it all works. I had come across an Internet answer forum ( i can't remember which one) that said that while the goat was in reality 94% of the breed he was actually only 50%. :/, I know this is as clear as mud, the AN and the Nubian discussion cleared up a little bit of the haze but, I'm curious as to how it all works. Are there different rules for all the different breeds? I have seen that it is ok to have boer does that are not 100% but the buck has to be 100% to register it. What is the reason this is required? If your doe is 100%, and your buck is not what does that do?

2. Leo

Leo New Member

It took me awhile to figure this out too when I started out, ADGA has a guidebook that helps, and the good people here can give you better advise than I, but I try to help. :D

Yes, some herdbooks are still open, I think LaMancha's are.

IMHO it's because a buck can spread his genetics(good/bad) further than a doe, plus you only need one good buck to cover I think it's around 30 does. Probability wise you get 51% bucks:49% does, that's a lot of unnecessary bucks. Basically though it's to preserve the integrity of the breed, and there's enough PB/Am bucks to pick from.

Depending on the registry, I don't know anything about boers, but for the ADGA, if you breed your PB doe to say an Am buck(same breed), you get an Am., if you breed your PB doe to a grade/experimental/unregistered, you get a grade/experimental doe but unregisterable buckling.

I'm not sure about the 94%/50% thing, but I hope I helped.
    Megan

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You do know that you can't have any boer blood in your grade ADGA does?

So say your LaMancha is not registered. If you breed her to a Purebred or American Lamancha buck and the kid conforms to breed standard (dish face and elf or gopher ears) than she is recorded as 50% on her sire, her dam would be unknown. If you breed this 50% kid to a purebred or American buck and this kid conforms to breed standard than she is 75%. If you breed you 75% doeling to a purebred buck she then becomes a purebred as long as she conforms to breed standard. If along the way the kid does not conform to breed standard than she stalls at the percentage her dam was. If you use an American buck on your 75% american doe than her kids would be American.

In all other ADGA fulls sized breeds, there is no purebred no matter how many generations are bred to a purebred buck. vicki

4. sunnygrl_ks

sunnygrl_ks Guest

ok... i think i've got the lamancha down.... and as far as dairy ... are they the only open herds?

is it the same with boers as with the lamancha?

I'm only asking as informational purposes.... i do not intend to be breeding animals simply because they can be registered.... but I like to know how it all works :)

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Yes in the full sized ADGA dairy does, only LaMancha have open herdbooks so you can register grade does to American to then Purebred. All others stop at Purebred.

There is no grading up program in any animals with AGS.

In Nigerian Dwarf's they have a purebred only herdbook with both registries. Vicki