goats with sheep?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by goat girl, Apr 10, 2008.

1. goat girl

goat girl New Member

:/I am planning on getting some sheep--for the wool--and wanted to keep them with my goats---shared run under shelter and fenced area. Is this an okay idea? I have nubians--2 milkers and 2 doelings would be with 3 sheep---then when my buckling and baby ram are big enough, the buck and ram were going to share a penned area.--so it would be 3 milkers with 2 ewes in one pen and 1 buck with 1 ram in another. but to start, they would all be in the same pen.

would appreciate any input.
    Thanks!
    Christine :D

2. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Other than the fact that some might get pregnant if in same pen, I remember my family boarding a friend's sheep right in with our goats with no ill affects for either. And there are pictures of people in other lands herding or wathcing over their animals...goats and sheep are together. Don't take my word for it because I honestly don't know for certain. But I suspect that there should not be any problem. Would like to see what others, more experienced, post in reply to your question. Sorry I could not be more help.

-Kim

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You will be lucky if your buck and ram will get along, ours didn't. When he would fight with the bucks, they jump up and come down, he hit them straight on, they would get it over and over in the chest...that lasted about 2 mintues. Sheep and goats also have very different needs, especially minerals. There is the whole scrapie issue, and there is the CL issue. There is the OPP issue, which is sheep CAE.

I would wait until you can fence them seperatly, and spend some time on a sheep forum like this goat one to learn about rams, they are not goats. Bottle raised and sweet as little boys they will still grow up to try to kill you by ramming you. Face shields are a must. The tamest buck you can trust with your children, never trust a ram with even yourself. Vicki

4. I run my goats and sheep together all the time. Females in one pasture with Males in another. The fact of the matters is that you should not trust ANY intact males. My rams and bucks are scared to death of me. I can not get ahold of them but to put them in a barn. Then the fight is on to get ahold of them. I have showed sheep and goats for over 20 years and to this day. Once they are past show age...yearling in rams, the show rams are out of here. I dont care how I have to get rid of them...I will not put up with a ram that has been shown...or even a buck that has been shown.

The big thing really is to keep copper out of the mineral. That is the biggest thing with sheep keeping with goats. I give copper boluses if the goats need them. The milkers get the copper in the milking ration so most of the time I dont mess much with them.

To keep and ram and bucks together to just have to have tough love for them. When I put any new male in the pasture we lock them in a small pen about 10x10 and let them duke it out in there. So, they can not get a run start. Most of the time if they are really agressive then it goes down to a 6x6 pen. Till they live to stand each other, most of the time its less than 24 hours.

Ken in MO

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Personally I would wait until you have separate areas for the sheep our neighbors had sheep and I thought long and hard abt it, did alot of research and study and decided against having any sheep. even their bottle babies were wild once off the bottle sheep don't have the personalities of goats at all. Now I have a friend here that has some angora's for her spinning but they are kept separated from her goats. Feeding is just too much of a hazzle for me

6. goatkid

goatkid New Member

A goat breeder I know used to run a few sheep with her Nubians, but when the scrapie tag program went into effect, she sold her sheep. People here say that if you keep sheep with goats, it puts your scrapie status in a higher risk category, since scrapie is more of a sheep disease. I would also be concerned about CL. If you want animals you can use for spinning, other options would be angora goats or a llama. Kathie

7. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Exactly. I agree whole heartedly. We had sheep also. The Ram was just as sweet as he could be, like a little dog until he was about 2 years old and about 350 pounds. He tried to kill me one day when I was cleaning out his water tub. He cracked the tip of 2 ribs for me while he had me penned behind the gate. I was able to turn around and climb up and over the fence while he smashed my leg into the fence with the gate and his hard head. Soon as I got back from the house with the gun I retrieved, I dropped him where he stood before he killed one of my daughters. No way I would have sold him at the auction to some person that might have had small children. No issue with the ewes except the mineral issue as Vicki mentioned. They got along just fine with the goats. The ewes hung together in their little group and the goats hung with their little group though they did share a pasture.

If you do decide to keep a ram it is best that you get a dam raised one that is skiddish and a little afraid of you and do not make a pet out of him. You keep him by himself or with another ram only (not a goat buck) and transfer ewes back and forth to visit him for breeding and do it when you have help, not by yourself.

8. Shykid Acres

Shykid Acres Guest

Yicks. That is scary Christine. I hope you healed up okay.

The one sheep that we boarded with our goats was for only a few months, he was still very young and I think he was fixed. Wow. I did not know they could be so dangerous.

-Kim

9. Leo

Leo New Member

I guess I've had a unique ram, I had him for 3 yrs. bought him when he was 2yrs. old. and he was an absolute sweetheart, he loved to be brushed and kissed but he hated shearing and would throw a fit, aka. lie down. He was a hair sheep(Katahdin) though, suffolks I've heard are nasty rams. But my hair sheep when I used to have them, were sweet. The rams and bucks would sleep cuddled up together too.

Also, I would be concerned though as others have said about managing their separate health and mineral needs. It can be a pain.
    Megan

10. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

11. Of all the sheep breeds that I have had...roughly about 12 different ones...Dorsets are by FAR the worse. They will start butting you as weanlings. They have no fear at all. They are just out for blood.

Ken in MO

12. reedfarm

reedfarm Guest

We run our Southdown sheep with our yearling Nubians in the same pasture during the day. At night we take the Nubians out to feed them separately. They stay in their penned area until after they are fed in the morning. We make sure they are given their minerals, feed and alfalfa hay in their penned area. During the day they eat grass hay, because alfalfa hay is too rich for the sheep.
    Kris
    reedfarm.net

13. buckrun

buckrun New Member

Wow do I admire a person with such great decisoin making action!
    That was exactly the right response Christine.
    Congrats on your escape. We had a local killed by his ram- just turned his back and walked to his truck after checking the herd and he nailed him from behind.
    How do you ever get the ewes back out of the ram pen once you put them in?
    No thanks
    Lee