goats that do not graze

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Patty13637, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

My 3 new does do not know how to eat fresh pasture. I do not think they have ever been on grass ...they do not even want to walk in it :sniffle Its really sad. I have 2 of the 3 lame from hoof trimming . I did not even take them all the way down. 1 of them I swear I took 6 inches off her feet.

I cannot wait for neg test results to put one of my normal goats with them to teach them how to graze. Poor babies.

Anyone have any clues on how to encourage them ?

Patty

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Well by nature goats are not grazers but will go for weeds and brush.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

My goats also don't graze....now when the grass is up to their belly they will eat the seed heads. At Tim's it was exactly the same thing, all this blowing in the wind tall grass with the goats eating it with their heads up...Patty the new goats are just smarter than your goats :) Vicki

4. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

OK when I say graze the grass and weeds are up past there fat bellys. I am not overly worried yet as they can all stand to looose a few pounds.

Patty

5. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

Graze? Like commoners? Perish the thought! I don't own a goat that will graze. It keeps my husband busy mowing the pens and the pasture :rofl

Tamera

6. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Love it !! :)

7. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

My goats will eat the grass when it is young and tender. They eat the seed pods of bahai grass when it is at the seed stage. They love it. They do have browse along the fence lines and I keep a path cut with the mower so they can get to the areas where there is browse. Here in a week or two the hay will be cut and they will graze again.

8. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

[email protected] New Member

You might need to try and teach them to eat the wild foods. Quite often I would have to grab a piece of leaf or weeds and pretend to eat it. Sometimes you have to put a piece in the goats mouth. Sometimes you have to walk out with them a couple times a day and. They are responsive to the herd order, and it's the dominant goats that decide when they are going to go out and eat, and what they can eat. Watching my own, if I'm out with them, when I grab something and smack my lips over it, most of my hoggy ones will come over and want some.

But that's in brush. On grass, you will have more trouble because goats don't really like grass. Best thing you can do is keep them a little hungry so they get out there and start looking for food. Sometimes you have to lock them out of the loafing area and keep them from staying in the barn.

9. J-Basqo

J-Basqo New Member

Hmm, my goats seem to like the grass. They dont graze the same way as horses or cows but they seem to always be out there eating and mowing things down. Even the babies. I have let my goats 'out to graze' since I have had them and they always love to be out browsing.

10. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

This same thing happened when I put Madam out to browse this year. I think at Tracy's she was very used to hay because it was snowy there still when I got her. So she had been on hay for quite a bit. My other doe totally went out and said, "mmmm Blackberries!" but Maddy was like, "where's my Hay?" It took her awhile then she got used to it. I wean them off hay for late spring to early fall for them to browse. They still get alfalfa and grain, but just no hay. I save the hay for the wet days ahead! My girls learn to browse even on rainy days in the warmer months here because, well, it rains a lot! Of course in downpour they run for cover!

Maddy is so funny too coming from dry ID. She lifts her feet really high in back when it's wet out - Highstepping so much she rubs mud all over her udder! Grrrr. Hopefully she will get used to it...

I wish they would Mow better, but they love those seedheads! They do like it when the grass is freshly mown and they can eat the tender stuff. The "goats will eat anything" thing is such a joke!!! More like "goats will only eat..." Well at least with my prima donnas anyway.

11. pokyone42

pokyone42 New Member

Our goats NEVER used to graze......unless we went out to the pasture with them............(they had hay, 24/7)
    This year, we stopped putting hay out in the mornings, and they got the hang of grazing! :) We also fenced in our garden this year, so that the goats can hang out near it (and be with us) as they graze, which they prefer. good luck!

12. mill-valley

mill-valley New Member

Mine are the same way. The milkers that is. My kids keep the grass down in their pen, but it's knee-deep in the big girl's run. They would much rather eat hay....but with the feed prices they don't get much of that this time of year.