Dairy Goat Info Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't understand my goats. Its cold and windy but not raining and they are all laying outside not in the barn. Why do they do this? They pile up as close to each other as possible but don't go in the barn. I put fresh bedding down Saturday so its not the bedding. I asked my niece if her sheep stayed out and she said no they are smarter than goats. :mad. No if it starts to rain they run for the barn. :lol

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its a kind of loafing shed. They are free to go in or out. I went in and they all followed me running and jumping like it were spring or somthing. Idk. When it starts raining they will go in. My prayers go up to any in harms way of the hurricane. I rode out a couple of small ones in florida few years back. Wouldn't do that again. Again my prayers are with you and your animals.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Don't worry, they are OK. They are wearing cashmere sweaters! :)

Animals don't feel the elements like we do. People worry about them all the time but they are fine. I've even known people who go out and forcibly LOCK the animals in the barn. They are really better off out in the fresh air. I think it is the right thing to provide shelter, but don't worry if they won't go in. Like you say, if it starts raining, they will run for cover. Although I've had some that will stay out as long as it's not a down pour.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Mine seem to like to lay in the grass when it is cold out. I think the grass surrounding them is warmer and probably more comforting than the bedding in the barn. My cows do the same thing.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I can only wish mine would stay outside!!!!!
Mine park there butts in the stall all the time unless I lock them outside.
I have NEVER seen them sleep out in the grass except on a warm sunny day.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:DThat's too funny JoAnn, even when it was 100 degrees mine were outside in the sun panting! Some peoples goats! Tisk tisk!

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Is this at night? Or during the day? They like to go out during the day to soak up sun. When mine are in the lean to (as opposed to being stalled in the barn), they spend more time out when it is cold, than when it is hot.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Oh, the other thing is maybe it is dark and scary in there. Mine like to be outside partly because we have this light next to the house that the electric company makes everyone have out here; it shines into the pasture, and it's light there, but not in their house, so I think that is why mine prefer the outside. :)

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Mine seem to spend as much time inside as out. They will not sleep outside for love nor money, they want to be inside their barn at dusk. They do go outside when I get home from work at 2330 and scream at me to milk and feed them. Once their hay is gone, they go right back inside to sleep.

I did lock them inside this afternoon, the first time since early last spring. I didn't want all that hurricane force wind and rain inside the barn, and I didn't want the bullies to drive the bottom of the pecking order does outside into the weather.

I don't have a light on in the barn unless I am in there working. I do have 2 motion sensor lights on the house that shine into the goats outside pen. They don't seem to care one way or the other. Even when the lights are on, if they are done eating their hay, they go inside the barn to sleep.

When it rains they all head for the inside, even if there is hay outside. They will stand in the door way and scream at me, but they will not put one dainty little hoof outside.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nancy, you maybe right about the light. They do stand about 5 feet from the entrance and look in like there is something weird in there. I go in and turn on lights and they run in. When I go out and turn off light, they run out. I thought they were just following me. Well, this morning they are in cause of the freezing rain and snow. :/

·
Registered
202 Posts
Mine have had no issues sleeping in the barn however this very cold weather and wind we have had they are all sleeping outside next to the barn, why I have no idea... they dont have winter coats yet so a couple where even shivering.

·
2,792 Posts
My goats prefer to be outside, under the yard light. Even in the wind and light rain. Their barn is too dark. We do need a light inside. They are afraid of dark places, naturally. I like it that they don't poop inside so much, but it does make me a little nervous when I see them outside when it's really cold and blustery. I know it's stressful for them. I do plan to get a night light for them. To me they look cold, but I guess they know what they are doing :)

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:DI am leaving a light on in the barn tonight just to see. I guess I never thought they were afraid of the dark. :lol

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, I have been leaving the light on and they were sleeping inside for several days but now it is getting real cold, with frost on the windshields and the goats have started to sleep outside again! :mad. So off with the light, its the dark night for them! Grrrrrr! Sonmetimes I think they just like to mess with me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
omg thank goodness for this info-
i've only had goats for a year and they always go inside their house at night and last night it went down into the 40's and was windy and they were looking inside their house like it like it was filled with ghouls and looking at me like i was crazy that i expected them to go in there- I kept going out and checking and they were out in the pasture where they never are at night- it was very bizarre behavior-then i put a light inside their house and they all marched in and cuddled up and got comfy!!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts