Dairy Goat Info Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to add a fiber ewe (Finn Sheep) to my small herd of Nigerian Dwarf goats. They get along great, but how does one resolve the copper question? Do you separate the goats from the sheep and feed loose minerals (appropriate to each species) on a daily basis? Is it possible to feed sheep minerals to all and then give a copper injection to the goats (the way we give BoSe injections)? My animals, except for my milking does, are 100% on pasture this time of year. I currently have a 2 salt blocks in the pasture -- one with copper, one without, as I had hoped the sheep would intuitively select the correct salt -- they aren't! I have loose sheep minerals (without cooper) on order from my feed store. I have heard of mounting the cooper block up high as the goats can stand on their hind legs to lick it, but the sheep are taller than my Nigerians. I live in a Selenium deficient area, so I need to supplement minerals more than just salt. How have others addressed this question? Jody

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
If you must keep them together, that is what I would too. Feed sheep minerals to all then copper bolus the goats.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

Thanks for the idea. I had never even heard of copper boluses. I will give it a try. Jody

·
Registered
1 Posts
http://www.dairygoatinfo.com/f19/goats-sheep-copper-34794/

According to Finnsheep Breeders Association of Finland, Finnsheep have lower incidence of Copper Toxicity...see website below...

http://www.finnsheep.fi/english/index.html

Also, be aware that I have used sheep & goat mineral with both my Finns and my goats for several years past with no ill effect...did have less parasites during those years.

Mary Tucker, NY

·
Registered
71 Posts
I agree, feed a sheep and goat mineral free choice, and copper bolus twice a year. Copper boluses are capsules with little rods of copper in them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts