goats on a budget

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by birdiegirl, Jan 6, 2008.

1. birdiegirl

birdiegirl New Member

I just wanted to show everyone how my wonderful boyfriend (Texican on HT) supports me in my goat addiction!

We try to live as frugally as possible- he hunts for our meat, if we buy clothing it is usually at the local thrift shop or Goodwill. When it comes to the critters, we make sure that their needs are taken care of before we take care of ours. Our 16 goats have the run of approx 130 wooded acres during the day, and thanks to Phil, a nice comfy barn to sleep in at night. He built the barn (well I helped some!) out of all salvaged materials- cedar logs from his property, salvaged tin, wooden pallets, scraps of wire fencing. The only money spent was for the door hinges.

(If the barn looks a little messy, well, I have worked a lot of hours between Christmas Eve and New Year's Day......I need to sweep in out and add fresh bedding, I know......)

The barn was built in sections- the first section was built in February of 2007 just before we obtained our first goats (thanks Emily!)

[​IMG]

Over the summer, another section was added on, and this fall we added the larger loafing area.
    [​IMG]

Here is the milk stand that I built myself- the girls are thinking that it a nice place to nap- they have no idea what is in store for them in just a few weeks!
    [​IMG]

Here is the general loafing area, complete with loafing goats! The pallets keep the goats dry during heavy rains- we found out too late that when it rains, water flows down the driveway right into the pen- grr....... luckily it dries out quickly. The goats love hanging out on the pallets.
    [​IMG]

And, this self-proclaimed "herd queen" has taken up residence with the goats at night:
    [​IMG]

So, it's not fancy, but it works well. we milked our one and only milker in the 1st section over the summer- a new,larger milkroom is in the works- Phil says he is just "waiting on the plans".......so I need to come up with some ideas. We will be milking 6 goats hopefully!

Now I can put the money saved towards fencing for a buck area. everyone ran together this year, but I plan to fence off a large parcel (5-10 acres) to keep the bucks in year-round. I am happy with the progress we have made so far. A fancy goat dairy it may never be, but if I can keep healthy, happy goats who reward me with milk and companionship, I am happy!
    Donna

2. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

Thanks for sharing-Love the Pics!

3. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

Hey, I think it looks great! and the girls look happy.. way to go Phil!! and of course you too Donna :handclap

4. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

form meets function, it is awesome...Congrats...keep up the good work.,.

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Hey that is great. I also will never be a fancy goat dairy but the girls don't care as long as they have clean good feed and water. clean dry place to sleep out of the wind and rain is really all that matters. Lucky you to have 100+ acres

6. leslieh

leslieh New Member

Nice job! And all for the price of hinges makes it all the better! ;)

Leslie

7. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Looks great :biggrin

8. Kalne

Kalne New Member

Looks nice to me!

9. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Nice job and I like the price!!

But, I am not EVEN showing these pictures to my girls.....they might want the Satalite. dish for their barn!!! :lol It ain't happening!
    Kaye

10. janettemoore

janettemoore New Member

Great Pics....Contented Girls....Really nice place. Happy New Year.

Janette

11. ecftoggs

ecftoggs New Member

Donna, Great use of pallets (a cheap recycled buiding material)! I love the satellite dish also.
    Tim

12. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

Looks nice! Your goats seem very happy and contented :D

Christy

13. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Thanks for sharing. Your girls look healthy. I'm always happy to see folks who are into recycling. I, too, shop at thrift stores - I work in one!

14. Theresa

Theresa New Member

Thanks for sharing the pics and the idea about the pallets! We also have an area of our barn that gets water running through it. I am going to put some pallets down so that the girls can at least walk out without getting into mud and water.

15. Great job! Sometimes its the most simplest of designs that carry out the most important jobs. Congrats. Love the pics.

16. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Pallets have been our saving grace here in the pond we call our farm! We have put many pallets down in a path and call it our "boardwalk". LOL! Our girls sleep on them in thier shed and our hay shed was built entirely out of pallets except the roof is tin. the floor is solid oak pallets so we jokingly brag about our hay shed having a hardwood floor. It has held up over MANY major windstorms that some neighbors newer barns crumbled in! My husband also built our first stanchion out of a pallet too!
    Hooray for pallets!
    And I love all the work phil has done too out of what he has! For our goat shed we bought the main posts and the tin roof. The sides are all made with culls from the local mill that were FREE! We get lots of compliments on it!

Bethany

17. Little Moon

Little Moon New Member

I love it! I need to show my DH, we have this same conversation just the other day. About "renewing" used materials - oh I can't wait to get to the farm!! Great job.

BTW your girls look like queens in their digs!

Anne

18. Melissa

Melissa New Member

tell him he did a very well done job! I really like your feeders. I feed hay in-between two livestock panales (they really don't wast that much) but am always looking for something for better grain feeding.

-Melissa

19. Tim Pruitt

Tim Pruitt New Member

Looks great! Goats don't need something fancy - just somewhere they can get out of the wind and weather. Dry floors and bedding though are a must - otherwise, it becomes a breeding ground for bacteria and parasites. The bacteria will cause anything from foot rot to mastitis. Granted, the pallets will help but you need to divert the water from the driveway away from the pen. Perhaps a trench can be dug to divert the water away from your shed.