Dairy Goat Info Forums banner
21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
As I was thinking about this I realized I had said something that might be a little confusing so I want to clear that up.

Where she says "theory" she really should have said "hypothesis". In science, a theory is something that has been rigorously tested by many people and found to stand up to reality and facts as we know them. Once something has been tested to this extent scientists very cautiously refer to it as a "theory" because by that point, any reasonable person will accept it as fact. One example here is the theory of gravity. This has stood up to rigorous testing of people trying over and over to prove it is not true, but yet can not do it. So we now, after many years and tests, call gravity a theory.

When you are first starting out with an idea, it is properly called (in science) a hypothesis. This is more like a guess about how things work; something has been observed, and the observer comes up with a hypothesis about why that happens. They test their idea, and then present it to their peers, who earnestly try and prove it wrong. If it is proved wrong the original observer must start over again.

This idea that goats might cause lung cancer is a HYPOTHESIS, I just want to make that clear - it is in NO WAY anywhere **NEAR** being a theory. I did not want someone to read that and be confused... this idea has NOT been tested and found true, so it is NOT a theory. Hope I did not scare anyone.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts