Goats are very sore from LA200, any tips?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Feral Nature, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

I am on round 2 with some goats, 3 with some and want to do round 4 with others, of LA200 for the problems that I have posted about in earlier threads. They are responding well to it, no more abortions, runny noses and coughing going away. Some still a little under the weather, but getting well.

I called several local feedstores within reasonable driving distance and none had off-brand tetracycline inj. They only had LA200 which i know is a more painful injection. I have given it subQ and have been giving it carefully, on different sides behind front leg, tenting skin well up with no difficulty at time of injection. They show no distress at the time and seem to maybe have a bit of a sting as they are led back to their pens.

The trouble comes the next day when they are sore and limpy and seem miserable with it. The first 2 inj. with some, was on the same side...then when i alternated sides, both sides are sore and they look pitiful like they don't want to walk and if they do, it is like it is very very painful. It is very noticeable.

Is this the norm? I feel terrible about it. Am I wrong in giving it behind from elbow? I give it about 3 inches or away, not right behind it, and it also depends on where i can grab a good handful of loose skin, each goat a bit different than the other.

2. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Bio-Mycin (200mg/ml oxytetracyline) is the same drug as LA 200 but without the sting.

I give this injection on the top of the rib cages (away from the shoulder area) about 3-4 inches down from the spine. The area you're giving it in is awful sensitive. I don't doubt that they are sore. They lay on this area.

I'd switch to the above mentioned spots and stay away from the elbow areas.
    Kaye

3. lovenmranch

lovenmranch New Member

Hey Diane,

I feel your pain.. I am on my last shot today.. and I had to order the "generic" brand of Tet.. because the Biomycin and LA200 was sooo very expensive to do all my doe's that were sick with 10cc aday I couldnt afford the bipmycin.. I did have some better luck with the "off labled" brand but while I was using the LA200 I was keeping it in the frig.. and when I gave the shot.. they were really sore.. so what I did. was take it out of the frig.. and warm it to body temp.. I put in my my arm pit while walking out to the barn.. or ( sorry for all you men) put it in my bra while I feed.. I learned it from using Pen G..it doesnt seem to be burn as bad when its at body temp( or not cold).. you might want to try that and see if it helps.. and again Jeffers has that off brand called argrymicin 200(sp).. and either my technique kinda works or this doesn't seem to burn "as bad" its about 1/2 the price also..

Thanks
    Melissa

4. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Kaye, thanks! I will move my injection site up higher, that should help. My goats thank you!

Melissa, I was wondering about that as I removed my cold med out of the fridge. I was in a hurry and did not allow it to warm any so I will now. Great tip!

I need to use up my LA200 before I can buy any thing else, I had one bottle already and we had to buy a second as there wasn't anything else, even though it was expensive...my goats needed it.

5. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I use the Biomycin and the goats don't seem to get as sore from that. According to my vet, when you have to give repeated injections, you need to do different places so they don't get too sore no matter what med you're giving. Mine will even get sore and swollen if I give several B1 shots in the same area. I do the same as Kaye and give them over the rib if they need shots for several days. I'm glad to hear your goats are getting over what they had.

6. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Can it be given IV to goats ? I know with horses I only give it IV because of the side effects .

Patty

7. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

It can be given IV if diluted with saline or water for IV injection, I think I saw that in goat 101. It is quicker acting that way but does not stay int the system as long, also more of a chance of anaphalactic shock as well as death from drug going into artery instead of vein. I would not give an injection that way but would consider an IV drip via a bag of IV fluid like in the hospital if I had the set up and if the goat was down and unable to move.

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Doing an order through jeffers, get their catalogs if you aren't an online order person, saves you half on the generic 200 mg tetracylcline over a feed store or TSC price on LA200. $14 for a bottle of penniciliin is half that in jeffers. Free shipping over $50 in the livestock catalog, one wormer and one antibiotic pays that.

It's the nature of the beast you are using Diane, LA200 is made with that carrier to cause this reaction at the shot site for cattle. Gets it into the bloodstream that much faster. Vicki