goats and turkeys

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Jo~*, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

My daughter has two white broad breasted turkeys as one of her 4H progets and they are starting to get a bit cranky. Today they were following me and the goats around the pasture and I saw them try and peck the goats faces (eyes maybe) I have seen the goats go after my little dog when she has been out with me but never the turkeys. So what will a goat chase? My chickens will go after any crows that land in the pasture.

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I dont let my turkeys in with my goats as they peck at shiney things and goats eyes are shiney...My chickens dont bother the goats at all. Some goats are bullys and will charge other critters and some wont.

3. Belle

Belle New Member

No turkeys with goats here either. The turkeys are always too bossy.

4. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

Its funny because the old tom I had years ago was very dosal and never bothered anything but these two hens are another story. I guess they are going to be history after fair because the last thing I want is to have a blind goat because of them turkeys. Right now the goats are not left alone in the pasture so they will be save from the two vultures I mean turkeys.

5. D Bar J Acres

D Bar J Acres New Member

I have a pair of August 2007 Royal Palm turkeys in with a couple of my goats and no problems at all. The adult doe was terrified of the tom at first when he'd puff up and "thrum" so she charged him and knocked him good. But both him and his hen are very laid back and walk up to DH and I to be pet and don't poke around at our faces either, they just stand there.

6. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

I have a pair of bourbon reds that have been free ranging with my goats/horses/chickens (they go just about where ever they please) and have yet to have a problem. They have never tried to peck at any and they are both quite docile. The Tom will actually go out and graze with the goats :) I have heard this is not always the case though, so if they are beginning to peck at the goats eyes, I would seperate.