goats and founder?

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Jo~*, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

Just wondering if founder in a dairy goat is the same as in a horse?
    I know where there is a young Nubian doe and she has had free access to grain for most of her young life and now she can hardly walk. This doe walks with her front legs way out in front of her and can barley manage to do that.
    Is there anything else that can make her walk that way? CAE? I'm tempted to ask if I can have her but I don't want to open myself up for trouble. I know she came from a reputable breeder. Can a foundered goat be fixed?

2. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

YES, GOATS CAN FOUNDER THE SAME AS HORSES! As can deer! Take a look at her feet. See if they feel hot, or very warm, especially around the hairline. Compare them to a healthy goat and notice if there is a difference. Look at the hairline compared to other goats. If this area is not tight and healthy looking, but rather quishy and bulgy looking, diet is the most likely culprit. Turn her feet over. If the walls are seperating from the fleshy part of the hoof, and filled in with dirt and crud, suspect diet and founder.If it goes on long enough, the toes will begine to grow long and curl upwards like an elf slipper as it looses connection to the bone inside the hoof. I take it this isn't your goat?

I do natural hoof care for horses, and a client of mine rescued a horse who had been foundered for about 17 years. The caretaker of that horse fed her about 1/2 a bag of sweet feed every day. He thought her soreness meant she needed more feed! He was a kind man who let a sick lady leave her horses in his cow pasture for free. He was doing what he thought was best. Sometimes people just don't know.

If it were my goat I'd take her off all grain immediately, and give her just grass hay. If she got better, great, we'd know what the problem was. If not, I'd test for other things and certainly take her to the vet.
    Good luck!
    Anita

3. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

Hello Anita
    Nope not my goat but I'm sure thinking of asking if I can have her and either fix her or put her out of her misery.
    Since you know horses you will know what I mean when I say she walks like she has cushings, I didn't think to feel the temp of her feet but I know what you mean. I'm just not wanting to bring home something and have it be CAE thats why I'm wondering if CAE symptoms are like founder symptoms? If money was no object I'd ask if I could have her them isolate her and go from there, but alas vets don't work for free.
    Thanks.

4. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

5. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

6. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

Just bumping this up to see if anyone has had personal experience with founder in goats.

7. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

What do you want to know?

It is not a good situation and the outcome is bleak if the coffin bone has rotated.

Many years ago I had a doe who foundered and after spending a huge amount of money on her to 'fix' it, I opted to put her down to end her suffering.

Sara

8. Nancy

Nancy New Member

We have an 8 yr old we foundered this year. We are still learning. Never had this happen before so didn't know at first what happened. Just about killed her with kindness(feed). We got to the point we were going to put her down because she was in so much in pain. We had her on banamine and glucosamine for a while, all 4 legs were affected and swollen.We also put her legs into cool water at least once a day. We trimmed her feet once a week. She was able to get back on her feet but walked very slow and she still had moderate pain. We finally ordered some herbs we give her daily which has done wonderful for her. That is all she gets now besides alfalfa pellets and we do have to trim her feet weekly until we get them into shape. She will trot around her pen now and is doing so much better. We had bought this old doe bred and we didn't know she was hardly getting any grain. The only thing we haven't figured out is how to possibly introduce grain back into her diet after she is bred.