goat won't get on milk stand

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by wolfgang, Dec 17, 2008.

1. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

I have a Nubian that I have been milking since last spring. She was bred on Oct 29. She usually gets on/off the milk stand with no problem. This is my first season of milking her. The last 3 days she didn't want to get on the milk stand or go near it. We have checked her hooves. I even thought she might have an injury and it might hurt to get on the stand, but she goes into a section of the barn that is about the same height as the milk stand and has no problem. What could be the cause of this sudden change?

Michele (luv2learn)
    Iowa

2. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats Active Member

Just a guess but maybe she's wanting to dry up? There will someone on later who is much more knowledgeable...

3. mamatomany

mamatomany New Member

I go through the same deal with one of mine....I have to get behind her and bump her with my hips (looks really silly), but she is a fatty too, she weighs 165....my reason is she doesn't like the new "puppy." Anyways, there are times she won't budge and I really have to bump her and her back cracks...yuck...

4. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

It could be a couple of things. Most goats start to dry themselves up after they are a couple months bred and she is just telling you it's time to do that or it could be hurting to milk. Unless you have noticed an off taste to the milk or see any reason why she might have mastitis I would lean toward her just telling you it's time to dry up.

5. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Yep, my oldest Nubian doe Neurotic Nikki does this every year, she just stops coming to the milk room when she is down to around 2-3lbs a day milking. I don't care she's an old quirky lady. but It could be something else, pain, illness, fear, strange smell, anything at all different?

6. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

Some off mine get snobbish when they get 2-3 months bred. I guess they think they have to wean me. LOL I make 'em get up there anyway though I usually start drying off within a month of the "fits". Having gotten pregnant while still nursing once myself, I have to wonder if their udders get more sensitive. I try to handle them more gently when they are acting strange.

7. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Balking to get up on the milkstand is also the first sign of milk fever, or mastitis. So although it usually triggers something else, a change in the milkstand routine, a new smell...a goat who will not jump up onto the milkstand for food is a sick puppy here :) Vicki

8. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I have one doe who balks at the milk stand when she's bred, but she also runs to the milk barn for grain and acts otherwise normal. I aways check a goat out if she balks. When some of my does try to "wean" me, they will jump right up there, but then wiggle and kick when I'm about halfway through milking them, much the same as does do when weaning their kids. Kathie

9. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

Update...
    Yesterday (AM milking), I moved the milk stand into the pen and coaxed her onto the stand with a "goat treat". I milked only a little, so she wouldn't be leaking and thought I would dry her up...I moved the milk stand back out when I left. Last night, she didn't even want to come out of the pen gate... the milk stand is just on the other side of the gate. I skipped the milking.

We had a possum get into the barn around the milk stand, could that be a smell on the stand, she doesn't like? But previously she got on the stand after a different possum had visited...

This morning, I led her out, she was skiddish and started shaking, but I let her lead and sniff and I petted her, she stopped shaking and She jumped right up and started eating. I milked her, no problem, but only enough to keep her from leaking and I will dry her up.

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

shaking is NOT a good thing. Take her temp and get back to Vicki or someone. I would be giving cmpk as it won't hurt and might help.

11. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I had been in the dairy barn cleaning and I bagged up some things and set them on a shelf under a small table near the milk stand to keep dust off. Next milking one of the does came in and saw the black bag. Oh my GOSH... it must be a booger!!!! She snorted and sniffed and balked and shook and acted like that plastic bag was going to eat her. Took me a little bit to figure out what in the world was going on with her, then I realized the fan was blowing the bag and it was moving. It doesn't take much to upset the apple cart with these girl's routines sometime. Something moved or out of place sometimes is all it takes. If she is smelling a opossum it could have her spooked. Maybe clean in there and spray things down with some lysol or something. If it is a dirt floor, rake it up and spray it a little to get rid of the scent maybe. As Sondra is indicating if her temperature is low and she has lost her appetite and is refusing her grain and her milk production has decreased and she seems to have muscle tremors not associated with fear of something then it could be signs of hypocalcemia. If she is in good body condition, has a good appetite, is eating her feed and hay and drinking her water and her temp is normal then hopefully all is fine except for a case of "scaredy goat".

12. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

Please be reasonably sure that you are dealing with hypocalcemia or milk fever before dosing a goat with lots of calcium...abnormally high calcium levels can be just as dangerous as low levels. SO, check her temp, treat if low, but if her temp isnt low, dont give CMPK "just because".

13. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

I have two goats that will shake when something is making them nervous.

14. wolfgang

wolfgang New Member

2nd update:

Checked her temp ~ it was normal. She is eating, drinking, and now sniffs the stand, but gets right up there. She seems fine now.

I had been sick, and daughter went out to help dad with barn chores. Hubby has milked for me on the occasional SUnday morning with no problems... I didn't realize at first that daughter had tried to milk her the night I was sick. Daughter always helps feed animals, but doesn't milk. So I guess either the daughter was the problem or there was a smell or something spooked her. We have barn cats, but they have been there for a couple months. Maybe one of them ran under the stand and scared her.

THANKS for all the replies!!

Michele

15. doublebowgoats

doublebowgoats Active Member

Glad to hear she's doing better. Sometimes goats can be so quirky! That's why I like them.

16. Ashley

Ashley Active Member

Glad she is ok.

My doe Penny, she will freak if someone new is in the barn when I bring her in. They may as well be a yeti. Heck, she's afraid of me if I'm in odd clothes. Went down there in my dress before church one day and she was on the far end of their pen just staring a hole in me. She was even nervous yesterday when I had one of dad's big coats on, but she calmed down pretty quick. But she was pretty wild when I got her. She is fine with me now, but other people, not so much.

17. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Thanks for the update. Glad it is back to normal