Goat with lump on jaw

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by dixiedairy, Jun 16, 2011.

1. dixiedairy

dixiedairy New Member

My LaMancha Goat has a lump that is hard as a rock on her left side at the back side of her jaw. She has had it for a while, and I didn't think too much about it since it didn't seem to be affecting her in anyway. But it still has not went away should I be concerned?

2. Holly Govero

Holly Govero New Member

Re: About Goat Emergency 911

Jamie, You may want to get it lanced and send it to UC Davis Lab in CA and find out what it is.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Welcome to the forum Jamie. Lumps can be lots of things. Can you snap a photo of it? How long has it been there? CL abscess which is what you hope this is not, usually is fast growing, coming to head quickly and can get dramatically large overnight. Vicki

4. carlidoe

carlidoe New Member

It could be CL, abscess tooth or a sore in the mouth. Maybe even a foreign object stuck in there trying to fester out. Get it checked out for sure!

5. Ashley

Ashley New Member

My goat had a tooth abscess last year and it started as a hard lump. Finally had to lance it and it would drain from inside of the mouth out the abscess, flushed it. Was very painful, but that was the end of it.

6. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

Really, really hard? I have a doe with a salivary cyst that is in about the location you describe, and while that is firm when it is full, it's definitely not what I would consider to be "hard as a rock," and if I try, I can usually put enough massage-like pressure on it to get some of the trapped saliva out of the cyst (and into her mouth, I'm assuming, since the cyst shrinks but it doesn't rupture.)

7. dixiedairy

dixiedairy New Member

Thank you everyone for your response! I will take the information into consideration. Pebbles (my goat) she was my first baby goat. She is grown know. Well do you think that a abscess is something you would have to take to the vet? Or is there something you can do your self to take care of it?

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Hi Jamine, totally depends on what it is...you cut into a salavary cyst and you have created all sorts of problems, if the abcess has a blood supply can you control it if you snip it while lancing? Send one of us a photo if you can, or can't figure out how to post it on the forum. Vicki