Goat with discharge

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by goatkid, Nov 24, 2007.

1. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Isis did not conceive last year and had short cycles. She also had a discharge so I treated her with a course of Penn G. All spring and summer, I did npt notice a discharge. Three weeks ago, she came intop heat and I bred her. The past few days, I've noticed a discharge again. She has not seemed to go back into heat as of yet. The discharge is almost white with a yellow tinge. I don't think it's an STD as the buck did not pass it to any of the other does. I also would wonder if it's a uterine infection since this did not recur until she was rebred. Has anyone experienced this? Isis is a 6 year old Boer/Spanish/LaMancha cross. She does not act ill in any way and eats fine. She is overweight from being dry for over a year.

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I would bet it is. You don't see the uterine infection when she is not in heat because the cervix does not open except when kidding and when in heat. Rarely would just penicillin given systemically cure something like this, it's fine to use penn profilatically after kidding, when there is a slurry kid or you do a lot of maneuvering of kids. Even then I flush the uterus with other drugs if I am concerned.

I am over the top about things like this because of having a perfectly healthy doe at a friend of mines go into labor, with oxygen hitting the uterine infection she went septic while she tried to deliever dead kids. It was beyond awful, and we like you had warnings all the way along...if we had onlys....luted her, cleaned up the uterus, and then rebred her. Vicki

3. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Is this something best done by the vet? I've watched to see if I notice her coming back into heat, but so far she doesn't seem to have, even when I saw the discharge. I remember my friend trying to get antibotics into one of her goat's cervix using her AI speculum. The cervix didn't open up for treatment, probably because the doe wasn't in heat. I don't have AI equipment, so I would imagine either my friend or the vet would have to do it. Would the vet be able to know if the discharge is infection? Which antibiotic do you flush with - Biomycin?