Goat udder - mastitis ?? **updated 2x on pg 2**

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by LynninTX, Nov 29, 2007.

  1. LynninTX

    LynninTX New Member

    1,326
    0
    0
    Re: Goat udder - mastitis ??

    Oh and we bought 9 to start....
     
  2. Liberty Alpines

    Liberty Alpines New Member

    142
    0
    0
    Re: Goat udder - mastitis ??

    Dear Kaye, :help2

    I've been reading your posts to Lynn with much interest because a doe of mine has mastitis too...also on just one side. I just got back from my vet with some Pirsue, hoping that will help her. You said that you gave your goat one tube twice a day for three days to cure her. The pirsue label says to give one tube once a day, and this is for cows. Is the two tubes a day for three days not an overdose? I just want to do the right thing...What do you think?

    Also, you said that you gave 6cc of Bio-mycin twice a day for 5 days. Did you do this SQ or IM?

    So after three days and 6 tubes of Pirsue, and 30cc of Bio-mycin over 5 days, did you do a CMT test and she tested clear, so you quit? Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge, I just want to save my doe and my vet seems to hardly know anything about goats, much less dairy goats. Thanks!!

    BTW, my doe weighs around 112 lbs., if that helps with the dosage.

    :help
     

  3. Kaye White

    Kaye White Guest

    1,837
    0
    0
    Re: Goat udder - mastitis ??

    Let me state one thing here before I go on.....I treat every case differently, it depends on the disease, the animal's progression/regression, and what the udder feels like to me. Nothing is written in stone here. I generally give the recommended procedures for any meds.

    Now, with the Pirsue...I gave my doe one tube of Pirsue at the 1st sign of mastitis, udder was warmer than other side, it was starting to swell at the top, the doe was running 104 degree temp and I could tell she didn't feel good. I gave her the shot of Bio-Mycin and banamine for fever & pain. Next morning, I discover the mastitis has gotten worse....red, swollen udder,refused to eat, doe definately not feeling better, 106 temp- 12hrs. after the initial treatment, so I get more aggressive. If the udder had been the same or was getting better I would have followed lable directions.

    Yes, the two tubes twice a day for 3 days is an overdose....but you've got to understand this doe was crashing and before I jumped in and just treated her...I read the EFFICACY study. It has been given up to 200mg -4x's the amount in the tube without ill effects.

    If your doe is NOT this sick...then follow the lable recommendations. When I go over the recommended doseages it's usually a case the animal is not responding.
    I gave the Bio-mycin SQ over the ribs and some of the shots left a swelling at the injection site, but I sure didn't want her crippled with an IM shot to go with everything else. I also didn't have any Naxcel at the time so Bio-Mycin was my next choice.

    By the end of the 3rd day the fever was gone, doe was back to eating, the udder had cooled to body temp, and the swelling had left the udder.
    I waited 10 days and sent a milk sample to LSU Mastitis clinic and had it tested. NO GROWTH. I don't rely on CMT test.

    Use your Pirsue at the recommended doses and keep in the back of your mind that in severe cases you can go above the recommended dose. EXCEPT IN GENTOMYCIN TREATMENTS!
    Kaye
     
  4. Liberty Alpines

    Liberty Alpines New Member

    142
    0
    0
    Re: Goat udder - mastitis ??

    Thanks so much Kaye! You replied just as I posted it on the main forum to see if anyone else would respond, I was just about to have to go out to the barn and do something...I really appreciate it.
     
  5. LynninTX

    LynninTX New Member

    1,326
    0
    0
    Re: Goat udder - mastitis ??

    Update!

    udder is slightly softer and less swollen tonight
    she ate a bit on the stand
     
  6. LynninTX

    LynninTX New Member

    1,326
    0
    0
    Re: Goat udder - mastitis ?? **updated on pg 2**

    less swollen & hard this morning
    temp 101.3 (she had .4cc banamine last night)
     
  7. Patty13637

    Patty13637 New Member

    876
    0
    0
    Good job ...hope she continues to get better .

    Patty
     
  8. Kaye White

    Kaye White Guest

    1,837
    0
    0
    You're doing well with the treatments. Keep it up.
    Kaye
     
  9. NubianSoaps.com

    NubianSoaps.com New Member

    16,497
    4
    0
    Also Liberty, CMT is just a tool, it does not detect mastitis. And most folks who do treat mastitis in their goats are not treating mastitis. Unless it is diagnosed subclinical mastitis from a lab, mastitis is swelling (itis) of the udder (mast) with heat, nasty milk and usually a sick and getting sicker goat. Their udders hurt to walk. Vicki
     
  10. Liberty Alpines

    Liberty Alpines New Member

    142
    0
    0
    Vicki,

    I'm confused about my doe...about two months ago she got into some thorns and cut up her teat pretty bad. As it healed, the teat started to heal closed. I had to take her to the vet and get it cut open...not fun. Anyway, I stick a cannula up her teat twice a day to drain the milk as that is the only way I can keep it open, I try to hand milk and nothing comes out. After two months! The vet says to keep poking a cannula up there and eventually the scar tissue will give up. I'm doubtful about this, but it doesn't seem like I have a whole lot of other options! Anyway, earlier last week her udder started feeling hard and her milk production dropped very dramatically. I suspected mastitis from all of this invasive cannula stuff 2x's a day, did CMT, and it tested positive. So now I've done 3 udder infusions of Pirsue and two4cc doses of Bio-mycin. I haven't noticed any change in her udder or milk production. She has never acted sick, is hopping up on the stand, eating great, pushing other goats around, all the usual stuff. Now that you are telling me that CMT doesn't even work, I wonder if she even has mastitis! Her udder isn't swollen or hot, just hard. I've tried to be sterile with this cannula thing, using iodine to clean her teat and the cannula, then spraying with Fight Bac, which I've also been reading recently on this forum that it doesn't work either! :sigh Anyway...any advice you or anyone have would be so helpful...

    Liberty
     
  11. NubianSoaps.com

    NubianSoaps.com New Member

    16,497
    4
    0
    All of this is going to depend on how good your vet was at reaming her a new opening in the teat, in which he should have had you insert a wax cannula that is relaced after every milking and worn until she is milked out again. Once scar tissue is allowed to build up like this, it closes off the canal so milk can't flow through. Scar tissue then can block the tubes carrying the milk and they harden with milk that hasn't passed in them so part of the udder is actually blinded off from producing milk. Other parts of the udder that aren't scar tissued off will continue to milk but until the scar tissue in the teat is removed and allowed to heal correctly she simply has to be milked manually with a cannula.

    And I know this because this happened to one of the milkers we had. She like your doe had a hard udder, but not all the way through like someone inserted a piece of cardboard throughout her rear udder half, the front was perfectly soft and normal.

    You can wait until milk withdrawal is over on the drugs you have used and test.

    CMT is just a tool, each doe needs to be done monthly and charted, since some does have higher SCC during some parts of lactation while some does always have high enough SCC to make their milk with the liquid gel...so it would be change that you would see that would have you running a milk test and checking udder. Vicki
     
  12. Liberty Alpines

    Liberty Alpines New Member

    142
    0
    0
    Vicki,

    Thanks so much...I had been testing this doe pretty regular with CMT and had no slime, no slime, no slime, then all of a sudden, thick SLIME that stayed in my sink. So I suspected she had mastitis, since I had kind of "charted" it. I tried doing the Keretilin wax suture plugs, then quit because they were expensive, but it was working! I'll start up on them again. I was glad to hear that someone else had the same problem I did! Thanks again! :D
     
  13. Kaye White

    Kaye White Guest

    1,837
    0
    0
    Just an afterthought, Lynn. You know this doe has had a bout of mastitis.....so when you dry her up...Dry treat her. Yes, in both sides just to make sure.

    How's she doing?
    Kaye
     
  14. LynninTX

    LynninTX New Member

    1,326
    0
    0
    How do I dry treat her?

    She is doing very well...

    udder no longer swollen or hard
    no fever
    no hot udder
    eating
    milk increasing (dumping ALL from both sides)

    we had gotten 9 tubes of tomorrow so today is the last....
     
  15. Kaye White

    Kaye White Guest

    1,837
    0
    0
    :biggrin Wonderful news.
    To dry treat... When you get ready to dry this doe...get two tubes of Tomorrow, squirt about 2cc's out of the tube. Draw up 2cc of Gentomycin and using a 22 ga. needle SLOWLY squirt the Gent into the Tomorrow. Shake well and infuse the udder. Object here is to leave the meds. in the udder while she is absorbing the milk left. So, don't get in a big hurry to dry treat her, if you are going to have to relieve her. Meds. go into the udder the last time you milk her out. Treat both sides. If you have to milk her out after dry treating you need to infuse her again. I always make sure when I dry treat...that's the last time she will be milked. I hate wasting medicine that's so hard to come by.
    Kaye
     
  16. LynninTX

    LynninTX New Member

    1,326
    0
    0
    Thank you!

    I am not sure when I am going to dry her up since she is not yet bred... even though we are tossing the milk... I hate drying up early...

    Side questions here...

    now I wait 2 weeks then send a sample into LSU for testing right?

    What about breeding? I had JUST put her in with the buck the day before and so obviously I pulled her out... but at what point can I... should I go ahead and put her back?
     
  17. LynninTX

    LynninTX New Member

    1,326
    0
    0
    although supply was down now... this was one of my top milking mini's so I want to do the best I can for her...

    the reason I was breeding her so late is I held back 1 top mm and 1 top lm... so we'd have milk yr round...
     
  18. Sondra

    Sondra New Member

    9,442
    1
    0
    shouldn't matter when you put her back in with the buck I wouldn't think as long as she is feeling good and back on par
     
  19. LynninTX

    LynninTX New Member

    1,326
    0
    0
    Well I sure hope breeding was ok...

    Right after you posted Sondra dd came up and said I think Carmella's in heat... can we put her in with Thunder...

    ok go ahead

    Just reported she was in full standing heat and was bred....
     
  20. Sondra

    Sondra New Member

    9,442
    1
    0
    Well at least she is up and going and now bred Good job.
    I have one that is very lopsided but no other signs of illness or mastitis but am treating her anyway then guess I will dry her off in a couple weeks because production is down to zip on the one side.