goat TV

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Halo-M Nubians, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

I am hooked up :biggrin 2 cameras in the goat barn. Thanks to a friend who had this nice system packed away and not being used. Color and sound with one viewing the kidding stall and the other watching part of the loafing area. Wireless signal comes right into the 27" tv at the foot of my bed. After loosing kids to freezing temp last year I'm hoping this will keep me from missing a birth. My husband thinks its so funny that every time I hear a burp or cough I go running into the bedroom to see who it is. I've already learned that I have a bully causing some problems out there. I love spending more time with them and not having to step out in the frigid weather!

2. Ashley

Ashley New Member

Boy that sounds nice (fun!). What does a system cost? How far do they reach?

3. Feral Nature

Feral Nature New Member

Reminds me again of my days as an OB nurse. I worked night shift and we had all the ladies hooked up to fetal monitors and also monitors for contractions and vital signs. We could sit in the nurses station and let them sleep and watch at the data from the monitors. It was terrific. Computers had just "come out" and it was pretty exciting technology.

Now, if I just had that for the goats.

4. Halo-M Nubians

5. This is our first year with cameras. It's even better then I could have imagined! No more frigid trips to the barn every couple of hours. We kidded out six does this past week. We sat an alarm, one of us would get up, come in and view a few minutes of goat tv.. then it was either back to bed or grab the towels and head out LOL. The only bad thing has been the alarm, it wakes us both up. I bought a digtal timer yesterday. I'm going to try sleeping in the recliner (instead of actually going to bed) sitting the timer. Hoping to just rouse up and look at the tv and fall back to sleep. (we splurged and bought a new 24 inch tv to hook the cameras to. It felt odd just having goat tv 24 hours a day on it.. so I hooked a dvd player to it.. At least that way the tv, won't become a dust collector during non-kidding times.
    susie, mo ozarks

6. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

Is this a system that you have? Does it work well? My home has aluminum siding so I need something that'll go thru that. I had a wired system in the past & between running over an edge of wire that stuck up with the mower, & squirrels eatting wires (I hate squirrels!), I've spent more then that on wires! I need to buy a new wireless system & was looking at one at Sams clubs.

7. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Price can vary depending on what your needs are and your setup.

I wanted a system that I could use multiple color cameras with sound that could be viewed on any TV in the house and barn (yes, we have TV's in the barn! :D ) We decided that for our needs we would benefit from a wired system. We also have one wireless camera system that I won on the 2005 NS raffle. The wireless one doesn't work as well as our wired system. We have aluminum siding on the barn and we also use the wireless camera made for use in a metal building. The signal can be interupted by cordless phones, microwaves, etc. (Believe me, I know!)

Check the distance from the barn to the house. Wireless systems are often greatly limited by distance. We needed an amp booster even with our wired system.

Also, you will need to take into consideration the temperature in which the camera will be installed. We tried the color cameras from Wal-Mart and found they work well... for about a year in our cold climate. Cheaper isn't always better. Look for a high quality camera and a company that will help walk you through installation.

Our camera system has been in use for several years and I wouldn't be without it. We currently have 5 cameras installed throughout the doe barns enabling use to see almost everything that goes on. It has been by far, the best goat-related investment that I have ever made.

Sara

8. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Yep when we get a new barn built I hope to install cameras out there because it is a heck of a hike back and forth to the barn every two hours, this year I put a heater and cot in the barn but am hoping the does kid in the morning and afternoon.

9. Halo-M Nubians

I don't know exactly which system it is since it came from a friend. He used it for security with motion sensors that triggered vcr's and a bunch of other fancy stuff.But I do know it was purchased from there. My barn is only about 300' from the house. We have metal roofs but wood walls. The cameras are completely weatherproof.

10. coso

coso Guest

I've got a wireless system I bought off E-bay. Works well but you have to leave a light on in the barn so you can see at night. We have vinyl siding on the house and the barn is wood. The camera and receiver are about 300' apart. Makes it nice to just rouse up out of bed, flick on the TV, make sure no one is kidding and then go back to sleep.

11. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

Here is a nice one.
    http://www.avtechsolutions.com/vavs05c-kt.htm
    I would love to have this one with a camera in my dairy barn and one out in the boer barn. :biggrin

I have one, but the range is 100 feet and my barn is about 102 feet away and it won't come in half the time. Works wonderful at closer distances.

12. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

I just got one from Sams- color, with LED lights, 2 cameras $120

13. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

What kind of transmitting range did it have?

14. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks New Member

300 feet