Goat Stuff list-

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by LMonty, Jan 12, 2008.

1. LMonty

LMonty New Member

I need to pick up some equipment and suppies this coming week...would appreciate any suggestions on the best places to get stuff affordably.

Ive already got:
    pritchard nipples,
    umbilical tape
    OB lube
    iodine and betadine
    milking bucket
    and a few other asst things
    and the girls are up to date on CD &T and worming so far, and I'm setting up my kidding kit this weekend.

I'm looking for:
    lambar or similar bucket feeder
    dehorning iron
    tattoo kit (what size? I cant recall!)
    prep H
    teat dipper

Ive got the bucket and stuff for a 2 goat milk machine, I need the pump motor thingy (pump motor thingy is a highly technical term, ya know! LOL). I know we have a link to a good one that everyone has recommended, so I'll check that out if I cant find one locally.

What am I forgetting? Is there a good place to look for good used equipment besides ebay?

Thanks, everyone!

2. Chaty

Chaty New Member

I order some of my stuff from Caprine Supply and www.thegoatstore.com and sometimes from Jeffers...I check each others prices and go with what I feel I can afford.

3. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

Jeffers is my favorite. There are many places to shop and buy: Caprine Supply, Hoegger Supply, PBS Animal Health, Valley Vet, QC Supply, Quality Llama Products, Pipestone Veterinary Supply, Nasco, Mid-States Livestock Supplies, Livestock Concepts, Sheepman Supply, Wiggins & Associates. This list should get you started!!! For dairy equipment and supplies, there's Hamby Supply and Parts Dept. Happy Shopping :biggrin

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

You won't want but maybe 2 pritchard teats, you will want maybe 10 lambar nipples. Only weak kids, and you should have none with your new program, get pritchards. You want to move from soda bottles with lambar nipples on them to a lambar bucket with lambar nipples. Not pritchards to lambar nipples on a bottle to lambar bucket.

With your 10 nipples you just take a pail, I start with about a 2 quart pail, like in the paint section at wallmart, and drill 5/8 inch holes around the top edge under the 'threads' where the lid fits on the bucket. Take a nipple with you to Home Depot or Lowes etc...and fit the tube to go inside the nipple. Buy several yards. Now put your nipples in the bucket holes, and then cut your tube to fit from the nipple down to the bottom of the bucket. I like starting them on smaller buckets because it's a lot less sucking to get milk from the bottom of a filled small bucket, than a big bucket with only a few inches of milk in it, especially with nubains who give you high multiple small kids. With a small bucket I can fill the bucket up to the top and the milk nearly flows out of the nipples. I keep lots of nipples around so kids I sell go home with a nipple they are used to. I then move them to larger buckets 3.5 gallons as they get bigger and need more milk. I also have a lambar holder to set my larger buckets in.

I don't use umbilical tape I use dental floss.
    I don't use OB lube I use oil or soap.
    I do use iodine for spraying navels and feet, several times over the first few days.
    If you aren't going to buy a Hoeggers milking pail with the half moon lid than just pick up a stainless bucket from the pet section of jeffers or even tractor supply or Target.
    Get a Rhinehart 50 and bring it with you when you come down and let us retrofit the tip for you. Hopefully someone will need disbudding while you are here and we can show you how to use it.
    Get the large animal tatto kit from Jeffers, do not buy the ear release one. And order green paste, you won't use the free ink that comes with this kit. If you don't buy the whole alphabet than at least buy your herd sequence from ADGA for your right ear, and Y (Is Y this year???)

Paul Hamby has no-return teatdip cups that work really well. I spray.

Fural, it's the perfect spray for hornbuds and other problems.
    Chlorhexideen, other than fural it is the only other thing I ever use topically on my goats.
    Needles, syringes, wormer, your cocci prevention, some basic meds, figure out your teat dip and your straining your milk. Something to pasteurise your milk in.

Pick up some ammonium chloride for your bucks if you are going to grain them without a meat goat pellet that contains it. Vicki

5. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

Okay Janie, you can't list all those places without some links :nooo

We wanna look too ;)

Sheryl

6. Halo-M Nubians

Halo-M Nubians New Member

I think Vicki meant a 2 gallon bucket-at least that is what I use...

Jeffers has a non-return teat dipper now, although I like Hamby's style a little better. They also have ss bucket in the livestock catalog again, you can get a 6 qrt. for $10.95 that is nice. You can't beat their free shipping. I like the bigger tattoo-I think it is 3/8"

7. LMonty

LMonty New Member

All my paperwork is off and away for the reg Nubians, but I dont have a herd sequence yet. How do I know what it will be? I recall seeing something about this in an other thread somewhere but for the life of me cant recall enough to search it up. I do have some chlorhexidine already. Was looking at teat dips and wasnt sure what others found was the best to get. I do like to finish with Fight Bac spray to clos eup the teats but there was thread recently that said it wasnt necessary, so I'm not sure if I should bother with that.

I was tossing around the Rhinehart vs the Wall Lenk. The x 30 has the right size IIRC, but I appreciate the offer on retrofitting the 50. The thing is, I think I'm going to start kidding by next month and I'm assuming that I'm going to need to use it a few times before I get down to Texas! IIRC that will be in April? I'm planning on picking up at least one doeling for me, and the soaking wet buckling for Ashley, and whatever else comes up before then.

I really like the bucket idea, am changing my order to do just that. Great on the tattoo sizes, I was going to get the smaller one, I may have to change that too. Green ink, right? The roller ball looks nice- do they work, or should I stick with the paste?

Ive got a good selection of needles and syringes, and OTC meds. More BoSe coming, and I am getting a list together of other Rx's I want to ask the vet for. Havent used him too much yet, so I'm not sure how he'll answer on things like Banamine and other Rx stuff. I know its kind a silly, but I'm a bit nervous about asking, afraid he'll think I'm a "animal drug seeker"! LOL
    Ive got a bottle of sulmet in the goat med cabinet, its what I used to use for cocci way back when, but have been reading about other stuff and the DiMethox 40% looks like a good option for me, since I wont have too many kids this year to make buying the other stuff worthwhile. Not sure what to do about it yet.

Ive already got PCN, Vit B (and am ordering the concentrated stuff, they didnt have it locally so I got the regular just to have on hand) just a little dexamethasone, oxytetracycline, CD&T, tet toxoid and rabies and spectam scour halt. Moxidectin, doramectin (just a little of that left) and pyrantel (tapes) oral; and ivomec pouron. and some ivermectin paste horse wormer. Just about out of Ivomec inj. Bendryl, kaopectate and the stuff to make a anti scour rehydration fluid. A bag of electrolyte, a small emergency bag of milk additive with vits etc, and tubes, 60 cc syringes, the unbilical tape is something I already had but I can pick up dental floss too if its better. I have the copper boluses. Suture material and lidocaine and a suture kit.

Ammonium chloride! Dang, I had forgot that. The only meat goat pellet around here has meat and soy in it, so Ive kinda avoided that and am doing a mix with oats, corn and alflafa pellets and BOSS and beet pulp for fiber and a little cottonseed for protein. The buck doesnt get much, but I'll be picking up the ammonium chloride now! Just added it to my order list, the feed store didnt have it when I checked earlier and darn if I remembered it after that! Glad you mentioned that. Guess with just one buck and letting them all run together Ive been lazy, but soon the pastures will be split up and they will be seperated again.

Thanks for the tip on the good milk bucket and stuff at Jeffers. I'd totally forgotten about Livestock concenpts havign goat stuff, my husbands first cousin owns it, I'll have to send her a note. Her prices are much higher on some of what I need, so she may not get my business anyway! LOL Theres another supplier I'd never heard of before a friend just sent me that had good prices on a lot of the stuff, cant recall the name, I'll post this and get the link and come back and add it.

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Think Vicki does start newborns off on a 2 qt and then moves up to a 2 gal.
    I have the lenk and it needs the retrofitting believe also you will want it on the 30 tis so much better.

9. LMonty

LMonty New Member

Thanks, Sondra! I'm trying to keep my expenditures down now so I can save up some extra for the "buying spring kids" fund! So I was thinking about the Wall Lenk for now, but didnt want to get it if its a waste. Guess I'll go for the Rhinehart after all.

10. Theresa

Theresa New Member

Look on ebay and some of the yahoo goat groups. I picked up a rhinehart 30x off one of them for $20 plus shipping. I think it cost lik $5 for the shipping and it works just fine. So, sometime other people are getting rid of the stuff that you need. Now, I would not get medication unless I knew the other person, but equipment is another story.

11. Sheryl

Sheryl New Member

:yeahthat :cool

you sweet thing you. Thanks bunches. I know of some of these, but not all. And I love to have lots of suppliers to choose from. :thankyou2

Sheryl

12. KJFarm

KJFarm Senior Member

You're quite welcome!!!!

13. NubianSoaps.com

IIRC that will be in April?

End of April beginning of May is the time frame...I added this to the haul thread.

Sorry what is IIRC? Green paste, no ink, the tatto's simply don't last and you will have lots of black ears with my herd, and Tim's and green paste will show up well.

Did you fill out a card to choose your right ear tattoo's? IF not it will come with your first paperwork, fill it out. Try to come up with some creative 3 digits since there are few left...really hate having to do 4! Using a letter...like LM9 or something like that will probably get your the 3 digits.

Ditch the Sulmet, it is too diluted, giving 1cc per 2 pounds will put it in the lungs unless you tube them...and no you don't want to tube prevention meds. Vicki

14. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Don't get me wrong I like the lnke just like it retrofitted better and would want the 30 retrofitted also

15. Whitney

Whitney New Member

Vicki, IIRC=If I Recall Correctly or If I Remember Correctly. :)

16. NubianSoaps.com

Thanks, thats a new one for me. Vicki