goat restraint

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by SherrieC, Jan 10, 2009.

1. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

OMG, my older boys have moved away, the milkers I can draw blood on the milkstand the Little does, I don't have anyone big enough to Hold them for me. I can hold them between my knees and in a choke hold so they cant move but Then I can't pull the blood. I dont have a sturdy tight fence around to clip them to, I have HT and wobbly stock panel. :crazy I can't get my husband to hold them he passes out around blood. How do you pull blood by yourself? :help I miss my older boys

2. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

What is HT? What are the stock panels attached to? maybe hook them to part of the panel closest to a post for more stability? Any neighbors that would be willing to hold for let's say, some cheese? :)

3. Hmm....Cant help with suggestions since I always have someone help hold or use the milkstand... Just wanted to wish you luck! :)

I wish you were closer, I'd be willing to come help.

4. goatkid

goatkid New Member

This is why I don't pull blood. When I get my goats CAE tested, I have the vet come out. I hold and she draws blood. I don't preg test for this reason. I use a cleanup buck instead. Kathie

5. Sondra

Sondra New Member

get you a big eye bolt and screw it into a sturdy part of the barn or house or what ever put it high enough to hold their neck up for you. put another one down butt level and another farther up front so you can not only clip the does head up but you can tie her front to back up against the wall.

6. Legend Hills

Legend Hills New Member

I really like that idea Sondra. I can do that. Thanks. I had been wondering how to restrain goats for blood drawing too.

7. Agape Oaks

Agape Oaks Guest

How little are your little does? I have Nigerians & drew blood even on my little 6 month old does in the milk stand. I have the on the stand , hold their head up & to the side with one hand & draw blood with the other. I was upset when my 14 yr old son refused to help, but now I find it's easier doing it by myself.

8. Necie@Lunamojo

[email protected] Active Member

:) Whatcha doin' Thursday? I'll hold 'em, if ya promise not to stick me. LOL

9. Secondairy

Secondairy Member

HT is High Tensile fencing. Great for frying their butts, not great for tying them to. ;)

Obviously timing may be bad, but in the future I would like to suggest sticking two posts deep in the ground (when everything thaws). Then making the head gate like on your milk stand, you can lock their heads into it to work in your paddock. Use a halter to get their heads to the right angle to draw, you will have better control that way. When our pastures are done, I am going to have one in each so that I can do feet and dewormings alone. You can also throw a few "eyes" in the posts and you will have a nice place to tie a goat if you don't need a full head restraint.

Kelly :)

10. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Kelly, yes on the Head restraint. I'm cementing one in this spring for the big buck (saanen dingbatt) only way to get a big buck afraid of people without teenage boy help for worming and hoof trimming etc. I'll do another one for the littler does.
    HT is depending on the usuage Homesteading today forum, or High tensile fence.

Sondra Thank you I have those Horse tie rings for back when I still had my horses and Mules. I haven't used them in about 4 years I forgot they were there. If it will hold a 16 hand draft mule : )

Denice. I give a holler If I can't get it today. the only person I've ever stuck was me. : )

11. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

Sondra that worked perfect. But those crappy syringes I got from Airtite wouldn't pulll the blood, I'm going to order the double sided needled whatcha majiggers and use those I've never had trouble blood pulling before.

12. Daniel Babcock

Daniel Babcock Member

Hope I am not hijacking the thread. I am about to order a bunch of syringes from airtite, would you reccomend against this and get them from jeffers instead?

13. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

well, I haven't ever ordered from anyone but jeffers (syringes needles) except this time, and I am really having trouble with those I got from airtite. But you know It could be just a bad batch or what I'm used to . : )