Dairy Goat Info Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering if one of you could point me to a basic contract for two people owning a buck. Someone has proposed to me that we own a buck in partnership; this is good for both, because this way, we can buy twice the buck we could otherwise afford all on our own. However of course we need a contract and my Google-Fu is failing me. I have not been able to find one on line that would address what one needs for a partnership like this.

I talked with one very experienced breeder who explained it's easier if the buck is owned by one person, and then in the contract the other is given full breeding rights, and that they will always be provided with breeding certificates as needed. So I've got a good start on what I need in the contract, and was hoping to find some generic sort of contract that can be tweaked to fit our needs. Any ideas?

·
Registered
342 Posts
well here is an example of all the accounting that is involved in tracking a livestock as a business entry.
https://www.extension.iastate.edu/agdm/wholefarm/html/c2-36.html

another example of all the things you would want in a partnership agreement
http://www.cattletoday.com/archive/2010/February/CT2165.php

Another site mentions key points to having this sort of arrangement work out successfully include:
• They must be willing to risk some capital (no contract is a ward or proof against losses)
• The should have mutual trust and confidence in each other (what if the animal is stolen while in one or the others care?)
• They must both be convinced that they both have the managerial ability, honesty, and integrity to capably manage the livestock.
• They must both be confident that the owners will deal fairly and honor the contract arrangements for shared returns/benefits.

This one has actual worksheets down around page 12-14+ and some other sample livestock contracts near the bottom
http://www.agmanager.info/farmmgt/land/lease/forms/NCFMEC-06.pdf

When all else fails ask a librarian - most have a reference services desk where those librarians are experts at searching for rare data on the internet and most have access to large information "databases" (not to be confused with Oracle, SQL or MS Access databases) that the general public do not. Their databases are peer-reviewed publications and indexes.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - great information.

Alas, no librarians within about 75 miles, but that is a good suggestion... Maybe they will talk to me over the phone.

I've not yet written this up but I'm feeling more confident I can put the important things in now. I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Just because a librarian is far away does not mean you cannot get their help. Many relish a challenge and sit there for hours sometimes waiting for someone to ask them a question or help with a search.

I only know this because I've got a masters degree in Library Science and contemplated a career as a reference desk researcher at one time. It is somewhat important that we use those resources because "lack of use" and lack of interest may be the greatest threat to our libraries today. Certainly one of those things that we wont miss until they are gone.

Coincidentally enough libraries have their basis in "sharing" just as you are planning to share a goat people share not only books but DVD's, audio CDs and this is expanding. Would not surprise me in the future if you could check out farm tools or bicycles or other community shared items someday as we reinvent "the library". Why own a bicycle if you are only going to use it once a month - sharing makes a lot of sense.

·
Registered
16,497 Posts
If the animals are expensive spend the less than $100 (that is in Texas) and have a contract written by a local attorney. You can do it yourself if you are talking one animal, but a herd, a true partnership, use an attorney.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Just because a librarian is far away does not mean you cannot get their help. Many relish a challenge and sit there for hours sometimes waiting for someone to ask them a question or help with a search.

I only know this because I've got a masters degree in Library Science and contemplated a career as a reference desk researcher at one time. It is somewhat important that we use those resources because "lack of use" and lack of interest may be the greatest threat to our libraries today. Certainly one of those things that we wont miss until they are gone.

Coincidentally enough libraries have their basis in "sharing" just as you are planning to share a goat people share not only books but DVD's, audio CDs and this is expanding. Would not surprise me in the future if you could check out farm tools or bicycles or other community shared items someday as we reinvent "the library". Why own a bicycle if you are only going to use it once a month - sharing makes a lot of sense.
This is SO true as I also used to work at a library! We TRUELY enjoyed a challenge of finding something for our patrons!!:)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts