Goat not eating grain

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by 2-GFarm, Jun 18, 2008.

1. 2-GFarm

2-GFarm New Member

Hello,

I have a milker not eating grain, eats grass/alfalfa fine. No temperature, no coughing/cold. She is chewing cud. She's been wormed recently. Taking sample to vet tomorrow. She's been given B complex, probios also. She's milking very little. Any advice. Thanks, Janet

2. coso

coso Guest

Take her temperature and see if it is low. With her not eating grain and going down in production my first thought would be milk fever.

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Yep would say get a temp asap and start on CMPK

4. 2-GFarm

2-GFarm New Member

Her temp was 102.5 this am. I did actually give her cmpk Saturday. It was the same then.

5. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

"""She's milking very little. Any advice. Thanks, Janet """"'

Do you mean that she has suddenly dropped in milk production (in the past 2 or 3 days), or do you mean that she is at the end of this milk cycle and is slowly drying up.?

Whim

6. 2-GFarm

2-GFarm New Member

She has been in milk 6 months, first freshener, milking normally about 6lbs a day, down to about 1lb. I didn't want to dry her up yet as I am on milk test, but looks like I probably will. It's been about a week now.

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Is she in heat?? this has a big effect on milking with some does.

8. 2-GFarm

2-GFarm New Member

no, she just acts like she doesn't feel well, it could be the heat, but everyone else is fine.

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Is she anemic? We have the FAMACHA chart in goatkeeping 101 which eyelids are hers? With your area my first thought is of course worms. Anemic, not eating and likely dehydrated she isn't going to milk. If you ever have been anemic, well I can tell you...in this heat you wouldn't be walking out to drink water let alone milk.

Do the fecal now, or worm her with Cydectin and put her on cocci meds...Corid or a sulfa...a sulfa may be in order since it will also treat some bacterial conditions. Vicki

10. 2-GFarm

2-GFarm New Member

I wormed her with Cydectin about 8 days ago. I'm taking the fecal in the morning. I'll go ahead and start her on cocci meds just in case. I had problems with her last year, after a show but had her checked, no worms or cocci at that point. I know the worms get so bad down south. Thanks. I'll let yall know what I find out tomorrow.