Goat Milk Intolerance?

Discussion in 'Cheese & Dairy' started by tmfinley, Jul 14, 2008.

1. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

I posted this on HT also, so for those of you who hang out there also this will be a double question. My husband is having a bad reaction to the chevre and ice cream I'm making with our goats milk. He does not have a problem with cow milk or cheese, in fact he LOVES cheese. That is why I was so excited to start making our own. It is intestinal problems with cramping. No one else is having any problem with it. What is going on?

Tiffany

BTW - I love the Chevre with the herbs de provence. It tastes just like my favorite cheese when we visited France! I also have the Chevre with cranberries and cinnamon sugar for breakfast on toast every morning. Thank you everyone for the GREAT recipes!!!

2. Leo

Leo New Member

Hmmm. I'm stumped. Could he be allergic to a plant the goats ate? Like peanuts? I've heard with human babies the allergens can pass through breast milk if say the mom ate a peanut butter sandwich, then the baby will get a rash or reaction. And have you tried separating each goat's milk and seeing which goat he's allergic to or if it's all your goats?
    Megan

3. Sondra

Sondra New Member

check on just drinking the milk first

4. homeacremom

homeacremom New Member

The goat milk may simply be cleansing his system. I have seen this more than once in folks I introduce to raw milk and goat milk in particular. Lots of people have systemic fungal problems/yeast overgrowth- caprylic acid is one of the top ingredients in a good natural cleansing progam... add to that the good bacteria, natural enzyme levels, and fabulous nutrient levels which many Americans are not accustomed to -
    best bet is to take it slow; kick back to small amounts of plain milk and see what happens. To date the only people truly intolerant of goat milk I know of are those with complete lactose intolerance - not likely if cow milk dairy does not bother him.

5. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

Thanks Judith, that makes a lot of sense to me. My husband read your post and is sure that is what it is.

Thanks,
    Tiff