Goat Medicine

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by KingsCoGoatGuy, Dec 29, 2008.

1. KingsCoGoatGuy

KingsCoGoatGuy New Member

Does anyone have the first print of it? I know it was redone in 2005 and I heard it was done again in 2007??? I have most of the other books, but would like this one. I don't really have the $140 for a new copy in Canada a fellow breed has for $50 + shipping. It is one of the first prints and I wonder if it has good infomation on CAE???

Any other good titles out there? I have just one more book on my wish list, it is Goat Judging Techiques. Before you list off any these are the ones I have:
    Storey's Guide to raising Dairy Goats
    Storey's Guide to raising Meat Goats
    The Goat Keeper's Veterinary Book (2005)
    The Illustrated Standard of the Dairy Goat
    Raising Milk Goats Successfully (Old version, they still call La Manchas a new breed.)
    Goats: Small Scale Herding For Pleasure & Profit
    Keeping Livestock Healthy
    BarnYard in your Backyard
    BackYard livestock
    The goat handbook.

The Illustraded Standard of the Dairy Goat is a great book I would recommend to anyone. (Vicki, it is a very good book you should get a copy.)

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I was on the list to recieve copies of Goat Medicine as they came off the press. Lucky for me was that I got mine just as we pulled out on a road trip to New Mexico to pick up my daughters 2 LaMancha bucks and visit my family in California. I got to read it pretty much non stop for 3 days there and back! I have never had anyone really tell me what is different in the revised or if it's just new printings of the old book to know what has been added or revised. I have most of my margins, front and back covers filled with info, couldn't have a better book. vicki

3. KingsCoGoatGuy

Good. Sounds like it is worth the full $50. I was shocked at some prices Chapters.Indgo.ca wants for some books. I went to see what kind of books vets in training get, I found one book that was $900.00!!! It came out to be about $9.80 per page. I really wish those books were cheaper so everyone could have them, then we wouldn't need goat vets anymore. :)
    She got these books before they were open to the Canadian market, even got a couple signed.

4. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Every since even before I got my first goats abt 8yrs ago I was following Vicki around the net and have copied and pasted everything she or Kaye have said. Tho I would love to one day have Goat Medicine I at this time have not one book on goats. But do have a big binder full of Vicki/Kaye stuff :)
    OH and all of Sannendoah.com on meds which is in Goat 101 here and everything from Sue Reith also in Goat 101 here.

5. KingsCoGoatGuy

6. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

I have a birthday coming up....might have to ask for that book for my birthday!!

7. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Alex, can't you get books off Amazon, or from Caprine Supply sent to Canada? If they won't ship them to you at the prices we pay, perhaps you know someone in the US who can get one in the US and mail it to you. You shouldn't have to be paying almost twice what we do.
    Another good book I like is the linear appraisal booklet put out by ADGA. It explains the different parts of the dairy goat and I'm sure goats are judged pretty much the same where you live. Kathie

8. KingsCoGoatGuy

Yes we can get them sent here, just got one from Carpine Supply. The reason I am not getting this copy as I have a breed in Canada who I plan to buy it from. Seen it and wanted to let you all know. :)
    I wonder this the LA booklet like the The Illustrated Standard of the Dairy Goat? Our score cards are about the same, we give an extra 5 points to GA & mammary. Do you have any way of scanning a page on here? I have a feeling it is like the classification booklet the CGS sends to us members.

9. KingsCoGoatGuy

Its just about the same as ours, just with a different score system. :)