Goat Keeping 101

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & Help' started by MF-Alpines, Aug 27, 2013.

1. MF-Alpines

MF-Alpines New Member

What happened to Goat Keeping 101?

Why is there a "Health and Wellness" section? How is that to differ from the "Dairy Goat Info" section?

I HATE CHANGE!!!!

2. MF-Alpines

MF-Alpines New Member

Oh, brilliant! So the "Worming & Cocci" section and the "Copper" section were all dumped into "Health and Wellness"? Wow! That sucks!

3. Caprine Beings

Caprine Beings New Member

I do not know, I was unaware of the changes until yesterday. Probably for space I would think. Austin?
    Tam

4. DGI

DGI Administrator Staff Member

We're having to restructure to maximize the mobile app interface.

Part of that is also consolidating sections with little to no postings.

5. MF-Alpines

MF-Alpines New Member

I don't care about the "mobile app interface" (at least not now, maybe if someone explained THAT ONE to me). Austin, the reason there was "little to no posting" in the sections I mentioned is because that is how it was supposed to work. Those sections are for info only, not for posting anything.

So what are the chances of putting it back together the way it was? Because the way it is now is NOT user friendly.

6. Greylady

Greylady New Member

Yeah that above......

7. jen c goat

jen c goat New Member

Agree!! Change it back please..... just took me forever to find some info.

8. Rose

Rose New Member

Ditto. They were reference. Those of us who have been on here a LONG time knew where to find things. That's messed up now.

The search works, but it's frustrating to not be able to have things organized logically any more.

9. swgoats

swgoats New Member

You know what would be nice is if we could change the titles to start with a key word, CAE, Worms, Hypocalcemia, etc. and then sort the references alphabetically. There are only 9 pages of info posts. It would be easy to look up a topic if they were in order. I could never find anything the way it was before. What's going on right now is worse.

10. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

That's a good idea, Angie.

11. MF-Alpines

MF-Alpines New Member

I'd be willing to go through it all and figure it out, double-posting where appropriate.

Someone just needs to tell me how and let me do it. ;)

12. MF-Alpines

MF-Alpines New Member

So where the hell is Austin? MIA?

13. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

OUR site is a MESS NOW and unusable for help. without posting again and asking for help .... :mad: We have now LOST years of expertise and experience in goat management.
    With so many goat newcomers onboard needing advice and help. it is impossible to give sound advice as we have to continue to key post every problem that comes out to help everyone and this takes LOT'S of time, when all we use to do was send them to the " 101 section " for information ....... Not every long time member here can answer all the questions for help as we all have different herd problems as some of the people posting problems have some problems that I have never had in 13 years of raising goats and also I am seeing answers to problems that I don't agree with and that I didn't learn here at this site before the change ......... So PLEASE fix the site back like it was !!!!

14. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

Cindy, you'd have to at least be a moderator. I've gotten started on it and posted in the moderator section to encourage other mods to give me a hand, but Austin is going to have to alphabetize it for us.

15. lorit

lorit Senior Member

I too would refer to the "101" section for basic info - and send other folks there. Our forum is not the typical chatty type of forum. Sure there IS plenty of talk, but also TONS of solid, researched info that needs to be readily available. Cannot even count the times and subjects that I have done searches on and found the help I've needed - many times without having to actually post a question. I'd love to see it return to what is used to be - and I am not talking the little things like colors and format. SUBSTANCE is what counts. :)

16. MF-Alpines

MF-Alpines New Member

Mods/Austin: Can and/or will it be put back the way it was?

17. Ashley

Ashley New Member

And 911? It's gone too? What did I miss?!

18. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

Well, crap. I just saw that, too. Austin, the nature of 911 was that it should contain very few posts because 1) it was to be used for urgent issues that needed immediate attention (and there would of course be fewer of these than your every day posts, and you wouldn't want them getting lost in a sea of other, less urgent posts) and 2) once the emergency was past, the posts were moved to the main forum so that other people could continue to learn from them but they weren't still in the 911 section clogging it up and distracting from current emergencies. I think that putting it back is very important. If we need to prune out some of the various categories, it would be better to eliminate (or combine?) things like "Chit Chat" or "Off Topic" because they are less vital to the health of our goats, which is, obviously, the intended focus of this forum.

19. Rose

Rose New Member

I totally agree. 911 is VERY important. The stickies in Goatkeeping 101 need to be replaced or reorganized at the top of the forum, as they were there for the reason of accessibility.

I know change is messy and fraught with angst, but there needs to be recognition of what is vital to the forum continuing as a resource.

20. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

IF space is the issue ...... then why is all the large annoying advertisements plastered everywhere winking and blinking while I read and our real needed help DELETED ??

Our Dairy Goat Info. site is now a advertisement mess !! :mad:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2013