Goat Hunkering

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Wendy Tinney, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

Just wondering what the rest of you all in the Houston area are doing for your goats? So far, I have decided to use this claw foot tub for water. I can't believe my goats are going to drink out of a claw foot tub, and it's not in my house!!! :sigh Plenty of hay and alfalfa. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Wendy

2. Rose

Rose New Member

Make sure they have a safe place out of the wind. That's about the best you can do.

Hubby's family's cows and chickens made it through a direct hit by Carla in the 60's.

3. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

uh...doing nuthin'. dont expect to really even see ts force winds here in waller, just hopefully some long needed rain.

4. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

I would be so tickled with some rain. Our grass is getting... nevermind, what grass? Everything is so brown. Even the garden that I water everyday isn't thriving.

Wendy

5. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife New Member

yep, everything here is crispy

6. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Lots of rain here, not much wind, but I am still hanging out at my sis in her AC and on her computer :) WE are still without electricity after that storm yesterday before the hurricane.

For Rita I completly tarped up the barn. AFter the hurrican was over my barn was trashed, I think it would have been better left open.

This time I just left everything open, put away everything though that would fly. I put my husbands John boat (his name is John also :) under the eves and also the kids wading pool under the other side to catch water to drink out of for the babies.

We ran the generator and filled up all the waterers and also mowed the lawn :) I can milk off the inverter on my diesel truck. During Rita we were 10 days without electricity and we did fine. The goats were fine also. Vicki

7. Cotton Eyed Does

Cotton Eyed Does New Member

I would just die for a clawfoot tub. I want to build this outdoor enclosed courtyard bath area that I saw in a magazine one time. I didn't do anything for the goats except put out extra feed and hay so I didn't have to go out in the rain.

8. SherrieC

SherrieC Active Member

I had Two clawfoot tubs, before the house burnt, Hubby and I got good at refurbishing them and used to do it for people in their home. Anyhow my pooor bucks wern't battened down good enough during last nights tornadic weather, and their house caved in on them. They are NOT happy.

9. 2Sticks

2Sticks New Member

Glad to know you're all alright. My husband had to deliver a load of yeast to Houston today, so he was right in it.

Tamera

10. Wendy Tinney

Wendy Tinney New Member

Glad all seem to be okay! :biggrin Just like Quiverfull said, not much happened here. Did get some much needed rain, and my husband did some work on the barn. Worked out better than expected for me!!! Maybe with the next storm, I will get a 4th side to my barn. I hope all is not too bad over there off I-59.

Wendy

11. Feral Nature

Feral Nature Active Member

It's sort of sprinkling here, no winds. Here in central Texas, we are supposed to get 2-5 inches of rain....yea, right. Weatherman says the eye may tighten and regroup after dark so maybe things will pick up a bit as we are right in the "eye" right now.

12. Leo

Leo New Member

Hopefully you guys didn't get hit hard.

A while back when we were hit by charlie, we just cleared everything that would fly, tarped up the barn. Our neighboors wrote their addresses & phone no. on their horses in case they got taken,(with those waterproof markers for livestock they sell in TSC) and when found they would know who to call. The tarps got really torn up, goats still got wet, ugh, such a mess.

Megan

13. laughter777

laughter777 New Member

I like the waterproof marker idea...next scare horses, donkey, goats, any cows that will let me are getting grafittied!!