Goat houses

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Kaye White, Dec 22, 2007.

1. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Ok, maybe this isn't a new idea...but it is for me!
    We get these 300 gal. tubs all the time and were standing looking at them and the size babies might be.
    They're water proof, have a drain in the bottom, wind proof and easy to make. The pallets come with them and they're up off the ground. The almost yearlings, loved the idea.
    I am thinking of using them in the baby pens for the 1-6mo. olds. Usually 3 to a pen. These guys are a little big for them...but had fun anyway.
    Kaye
    [​IMG]

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Wow I love those what were they used for orignally?
    You could even make the ones with lamp in top for very young if need be.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

So can you fit in there with your lambar :) Vicki

4. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Uh, NOT EVEN...Vicki! You should have seen hubby's rear sticking out of them while he was nailing them to the pallet. :laughcry

Honey and corn syrup originally came in them.?? Can you imagine that much honey?
    Actually, they washed out quite nicely and I was a little concerned about sticky. There is a 6" hole, with a screw on cap on the top, so you could hang a light. Giant bucket light! :lol
    We had 35-40mph winds last night and when I checked on them after dark...there were 3 Toggs all snug and warm in one, two obies in the other...saanen was in one of the open hutches.??
    Kaye

5. Theresa

Theresa New Member

Those are cool! I wish I could get a few of those. Who do you get them from? Theresa

6. Whitney

Whitney New Member

Oh wow, that is neat. I wonder if my dh can come up with any of these from work.

7. Well Kaye...they are just like cheap calf hutches...Which by the way is going up again to over $220. To think we the folks sold out of the dairy they got $40 each for all the ones that we had. I would think that they would work great with the kids. Since that is how we always raised calves and kids. Nothing better than fresh air for them. Also, you can get them CLEAN since they are Food grade plastic.

About the saanen. What can I say...she knows she is better than those little brown goats.

Ken in MI

8. old dominion

old dominion New Member

So what are the dimensions on the containers? I would love to see a few more photos of this hut.

This thread is the perfect lead in to something I have been wanting to ask the Administrators. Could we have a specific place for the posts with great photos of barn ideas, etc?

9. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Sure we can do anything. We will start a topic in goatkeeping101 for any really good ideas with photos. We can put the milking machine info and the mineral feeders in it also. When anything comes up on the forum that anyone thinks should be saved in goatkeeping101 just tell us. Vicki

10. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Awww...hubby went out and measured them. It's coldern' blue blazes here, with strong winds! LOL...the babies were huddled up in them.

They're 3'9" long, 3'2" wide and 3'2" tall.

I'll try to get some more pics as soon as it gets a little warmer.
    Kaye

11. UnRuli Acres

UnRuli Acres New Member

How would you clean them? I hated cleaning out the calf hutch for the bucks because I either had to flip it off the pallet or lean over (killing my back) to get it cleaned out.

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Kaye how did you come abt locating these I want some but don't know where to start looking.

13. Josie

Josie New Member

Yeah that's my question too. Don't suppose you used THAT much honey/corn syrup. :D I'd love to get my hands on something like that...

14. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

LOL...I measured the door opening to be bigger than my pitchfork. I'd already thought of cleaning them! Just pitchfork out the hay...dump some bleach in and turn the water hose in them. They have either a 2" hole or a 2" ball valve with a handle at the back, in the bottom. Lift the pallet about 2" to drain all the water out...Walla clean. These weigh about 10#'s, without the pallet.

DH has been selling them for $65ea. to cover expense and trucking to his shop. If someone is coming up I-30 from Tx and has a trailer on.......
    If you know of a large bakery, bread company, anywhere that uses lots of veg. oil,honey,corn syrup, ect...they should have these. Also some company sells cattle liquid feed in them, but I think you either pay a deposit or buy the 1st container.?
    Kaye

15. Jo~*

Jo~* New Member

Hummm I wonder if they have anything like that at a state prison. Pelican Bay State Prison is in our town (yuk) I don't have my goats yet but I want everything ready for when I do. I bet the big plastic fish boxes down at the dock would be good for something to.