Goat emergencies NEED HELP

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Ravens Haven, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Hi all,

I am posting for friend: Scenario: 2 does kidded about 3-4 days ago, no milk to speak of, 4-5 ounces out of two does that have freshened 3-4 times. No fever, don't know CAE status, kids are healthy.

3 more does due within 10 days: 2 are down and will not get up, no hoof or leg swelling, no fever, last doe gets up with help, but weak in the hindquarters,no fever, no swelling...

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

Thanks
    Autumn

2. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Re: Goat emergencies

Autumn....I'm assuming this is somebody that lives down here in our neck of the woods.

So I'm gonna ask how much fescue grass or fescue hay that these gals have been eating this time. ? This may be something else I know, but that popped in my head as I have heard of similar things like this with horses on fescue.
    I say this because we have a lot of the old type fescue growing down here.....and a lot of it was cut for hay and bought, as it was all some folks could even get this time.

Whim

3. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

This fellow lives in N. Georgia. He has been giving these girls nothing but bermuda since being dried off and bred.

Autumn

4. Truly

Truly New Member

I'm no expert. What for Vicki or someone else, but...

Sounds like Milk Fever... They need calcium.

5. MayLOC

MayLOC New Member

well, no expert here either...but the first thought that popped into my head with the provided info., was also calcium or lack there-of, like Lois suggested. Since you say they have been on nothing but bermuda since dried of and bred...so for the past 5 months no alfalfa?? Has your friend read all about hypocalcemia/milk fever??

6. goatkid

goatkid New Member

It sounds like hypocalcemia to me as well. When you have a herdwide problem like that, their diet must be deficient in calcium. Those poor does need CMPK or Norcalciphos. They also need to be eased over into a better diet which incluses alfalfa hay or pellets.
    Kathie

7. Sondra

Sondra New Member

They need to get to the vet and get CMPK injectable ASAP would be my opinion. they have no calcium reserves just feeding burmuda grass hay. This would be why does are down and also why no milk in the does that freshened. also now adding Alfalfa pellets would be my choice to hopefully help

Also I went in and chgd your heading so Kaye or someone will see it. They might have better idea than I do.

8. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Thank you. If they do get CMPK Inj. how do they use it?

Thanks
    Autumn

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

UM off the top I can't remember think it is 30 cc am and pm but Tim just gave his train wreck doe 70 cc pm Kaye or Vicki
    but am pretty sure this is the problem because hypocalcimis also makes them week or no control over back end.

10. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

All he has on hand is MFO can he use this?

Thanks

11. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

Also is the CMPK inj. subq or orally?

12. Sondra

Sondra New Member

CMPK is faster acting and is injectable a Vet RX tell him yes use the MFO until he gets the injectable from the VET

13. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Those does are in serious trouble. He needs professional help at this point and even if he doesn't have a vet that can deal with a goat with ketosis and milk fever in the freshened ones...at least have a vet he can get drugs from.????

The downers need to be induced at about 145 days from due dates and he needs to know how to take the calcium deficient does through kidding without loosing them. Get the already freshened does back up in calcium.

Drugs he needs on hand:
    Injectable CMPK
    Propylene Glycol
    Fortified B Complex
    Lactated ringers
    Lute
    Dex

MFO is better than nothing.....but tell him to get to a vet and get the injectable CMPK tomorrow. We need actual temps on the does. Especially the already kidded.
    Oral and injectable dose is 30cc of MFO-CMPK...Propylene Glycol is 60cc 3 times a day for the downers. Remind him that overdoses of the injectable can cause heart attacks.

He needs to offer the goats alfalfa pellets...in addition to the medications.
    Kaye

14. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I think these Gals are right on the money Autumn.

Now, can somebody explain in quick order without messing up Autumns thread, why we are missing a classic symptom of hypocalcemia here, with doe's in this critical shape. Where is the low body temp that comes with it. ?

15. Sondra

Sondra New Member

bet you he hasn't taken rectal temps on them all

16. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Sondra....bet you are right. These doe's should be bumping in around the upper 90's with the problem this severe.

17. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

It is so difficult to help in situations like this. Autumn, he should really join the forum.

It sounds like his herd is in major trouble and is going to need vet intervention. What's happening this morning?

Sara

18. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

The goats are still down. Prob #1 no vet willing to help out at all Prob #2 feed store only carries certain stuff: alfalfa pellets, Prob #3 nothing else on hand and I am 2 1/2 hours away.

Guys I feel horrible right now...

Autumn

19. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

It's really not your fault Autumn.

I will point out that this is a GREAT reason to have a relationship with a veterinarian prior to calling him/her with any problems.

It sounds like this person is completely not prepared to manage a goat herd, let alone bred and fresh does. Perhaps you could encourage him to become a member of the forum?

Sara

20. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

He took the does temps he said they are around 100 degrees, not good oh not good. I know it isn't my fault but I can't stand to just sit by and this is happening but I also dont' have a vehicle today either, arrgghhh.

Autumn