Goat down

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by LynninTX, Jul 29, 2009.

1. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

I would surely appreciate some help. I've been dealing with a headache off & on since Sat... I am exhausted, grumpy, and not thinking real well..

I got up to one of my BEST goats down!

They did not bring her up to milk this AM... she was laying in brush outside her shelter with ants crawling around... not good.

We got her carried up to the house....

4yo MM

breathing sounds raspy

no sign of trouble yesterday

milk numbers perfectly normal through yesterday... she milks in the 7-8# range with occassional rain dips to 6.

I am E TX... humid, hot, raining since Sun

she is grinding her teeth

not wanting to get up or walk... we carried her to the house

seems weak & shaky....

is laying in my breakfast nook

tried to get a temp and she was open with poop there... waited did not poop, so dd went to get a temp to compare, back... still has not pooped... so she put on a glove and is just pulling the berries out gently.... fairly normal berries just a bit sticky... offering NO resistance just trying to get in a position to get a temp

temp 99.1

Obviously thinking hypocalcemia.... but not thinking real clear... suggestions please. I do not have injectible calcium, but likely can get it... I do have the liquid (not the caustic paste)

2. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

(comparable temp 102)

NO resistence to the banamine...

3. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

gave 1/2 dose banamine for pain
    giving 60cc oral calcium to start

4. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

You really need injectable calcium to quickly reverse the condition if this is hypocalcemia......which it may be. Calcium absorbs very slowly through the digestive tract.....most of the time too slow....especially in a goat that is already in a compromised position.

Keep a close watch for pneumonia to set in later also. I would get banamine, and something like nuflor on hand just in case.

Whim

5. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Thanks Whim...

I know on the injectible just try to get anything from a vet here...

Trying to get a hold of a local goat lady to get some we talked before out it...

did give her half/dose banamine...

6. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

I do have nuflor... I have several meds just not the injectible calcium yet...

7. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

I'm not sure whether to pop her with the nuflor yet.....maybe wouldn't hurt....I worry about pneumonia in a goat that is down much this time of the year (fever or not).....banamine was good thinking.

Maybe try to call Vicki or Kaye.....I hope you don't loose one of your best.

Whim

8. Sondra

Sondra New Member

with that temp her system is shutting down so thro the book at her enima to get the poo flowing / nudlor/ probiotics of some sort/ lactated ringers and try to warm her up some how. keep giving the calcium you have until you can get injectable. evenin this case use propalene glycal. Oin other word the kitchen sink. something may help

9. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Thanks Whim & Sondra!

YEAH!! injectible calcium will be here between 3-6PM... how do I figure dose?

moved her to my sun rm... warmer & quieter... dosing her hourly with the liquid calcium.

I know not to milk her out... but her udder is fairly full should we ease some out or leave it be?

10. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I wouldn't milk her unless realy engorged believe injectalbe is 30 cc

11. tmfinley

tmfinley Member

Do you have lactated ringers? I would think it is important to keep her hydrated also.

Tiffany

12. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

""""Vicki, I gave 30 cc injections of the 23% Calcium Gluconate. I just purchased a new bottle of Norcalciphos and the recommended dosage for sheep is 50-125ml. every 2-6 hours. The Norcalciphos is 26%, the bottle of CMPK I just emptied is 23.2%.""""

whim (101)

13. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

:yeahthat I would sock it to her .
    With this weather I personally check the whole herd myself ... one by one as those worms come out with this weather stuff and they can look great and be down the next check . They can look good body wise but you can look at them in their eyes and just know something is not right with them feeling well .

14. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

thanks all... temp dropped 0.3 at next hourly calcium...

calling dh to tell him to bring the calcium ASAP after he gets it...

15. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

Will check temps at PM milking on all goats...

everyone seems fine except my old girl and she never seems fine. But Dolce seemed fine too... no big milk drops on ANYONE.

sigh

16. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Like what Whim posted, everyone can purchase the Calcium Gluc via jeffers etc...and you use it exactly like you do the CMPK injectable.

It makes little sense that if this doe was in milk fever that she would have an udder full of milk. Being down and balking at getting up on the milkstand, usually then reveals little to no milk, and then you realize you just drug and was really pissed at a doe who is very ill, as you take her temp and find it this low.

Although I don't want your to quit giving her the oral CMPK every 4 hours or so, I also want you to get her on the Nuflor (I don't use it so look up the dosage) I so much prefer other antibiotics rather than this.

Give her bo-se also, a gal in Tyler had a doe go down recently, necropsy diagnosis...white muscle disease. I don't know alot of folks who post their goats, but the ones who do I have never seen this diagnosis in our area. She doesn't copper bolus and she feeds Sweet Lix Meat maker, so likely little if any selenium is being absorbed...she presented very similarily and what perked my interest in this doe also was that she had loss motor control, and also wasn't pooping with her anus open. So I thought b vitamins treating her for polio and give her bo-se and subq fluids...with her immediatly feeling better I of course attributed it to the B vitmains and fluids.....if she had continued with the bo-se each day it could very likely have saved the doe. Selenium is about muscle.....so if this lethargy is caused by it, which is also about a lack of E in her diet...than her leg muscles, and even her anal sphincther could be involved...and her heart.

All the normal things, are her gums healthy pink (showing good circulation of blood) are her eyelids normal pink for your herd, showing no anemia.

Make sure you worm her, put her on a sulfa profilactically to get her through this.

Fluids first, and really push them. Vicki

17. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

OK reading Vickie....

What antibiotic do you prefer? I have - gentamiacin, nuflor, pen g, biomycin, baytil

This was not just balking this was had to be CARRIED...

bottom eyelids are pink...

giving bo se now 2cc (weight 101)

I had not known that about calcum glucanate.... from Jeffers...

18. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Give her more bo-se...it's 1cc per 40 pounds minimally, so just give her 2cc more, then use the 2.5cc tommorrow if she pulls through and give it daily.

What B vitmains do you have?

I use Naxcel and Excennel...if you choose the gent, it's off the milkstring. Make sure you get a good dosage on your nuflor and give it with the banamine. Keep the banamine at only 1cc because you do not want to give her too much and lower that temp more.

Do you have lactated ringers?

I will only be on here another 30 minutes or so...call me if you need me I will get back with you if I don't answer, I have someone coming out. Vicki

19. LynninTX

LynninTX New Member

OK increasing Bose thank you!

fortified b complex

we gave her only 1/2 dose of banamine... 1/2cc I always start with 1/2 dose on that one

no lactated ringers

dug through my box... also have Tylan 50

I DO have thiamine...

20. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

Our Use of NUFLOR

The dose is 3cc/100#'s once a day for 4-5 days. I go one more day after I see improvement. In conjunction with the Nuflor for pnuemonia, Banamine should be used for 5 days to prevent scar tissue in the lungs.

Nuflor is a drug I save for respiritory, uterine infections and an acute case of mastitis. It will cross into the lungs,uterine and mammary.

I dose according to severity of infection...2x's a day is reserved for ACTUAL pnuemonia...HIGH TEMP-105 or above, snot hanging out of nose,lung congestion, head down,ect..I'll use the twice a day for 2 days as a loading dose...then back it down to 1x daily IF there is an improvement.

I ONLY give Nufor SQ...it's too painful to give in a muscle. I also give it at the bottom of the ribcage about 1/2 way between the elbow/last rib. Bottle says neck...but I don't give anything in the neck. It's given in the neck SQ for cattle to keep from loosing cuts of meat.

Whim (file notes)