Goat Claws

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by VickiLynne, Jul 3, 2008.

1. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

I currently have the stainless steel elbows with the hole in them on my milking machine. This is my first milking machine which I put together myself after much reading on this site. I really love it! I was wondering if I should upgrade to claws and if so, which ones do you recommend?

Thanks,
    Vicki in NC

2. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

IF you are not having backwash on your milk into the inflations...stay with the SS elbows. Trust me on this one!
    I have 4 different sets of claws ~ quick claw, Vanguard, PVC elbows, and a SS cow claw~ Of all 4 I like the elbows and will probably own 4 of the SS elbows when I leave nationals. :mad
    All of the above except the elbow and the SS cow claw there's not a big enough air hole to keep the milk from flooding my inflations. I can't use the Vanguard or quick claw on my portable machine because too much vaccum escapes and my pulsator won't work. I'm about to blow a fuse trying to get the air flow right and the right claws matched to the machines.
    Kaye

3. VickiLynne

VickiLynne Member

Thanks Kaye,

I never saw a portable milking machine work before I built this one. I used to bring cows to the milking parlor when I was young but did not milk them. I have no one close to me that uses one they all hand milk. When I use my machine there is a sucking sound from the holes on the elbows. Is this a normal thing?

Other than that, I love using my machine. Even though I'm only milking three girls right now, it really is a hand saver. I have bad arthritis in my right thumb joint and the daily pain has lessened since using my machine. My girls really took to it too. I thought they would balk, but they did fine.

Thanks
    Vicki in NC

4. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

I do agree with Kaye, I wish they would do a goat claw with more or bigger air, so we don't get this slug of milk on the teat....but I love my claws. Especially when milking FF or new goats who are not used to being milked from the rear! When they kick off an inflation and I am cleaning the lambar at the sink I don't have to run over and put all the inflations back on her and the other doe, just the one she kicked off.

5. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Yes. That's the vent holes...causes the milk to come out of the inflations and on down the lines without slugging and backing up in the inflations.
    Kaye

6. Well my favorite type of claw is the barrel claws. They make them for goats and that is what I use on the goats. Its just a REALLY simple claw. All it is really is a round claw that always many oz worth of milk to be held in the claw. They was modeled after the cow barrel claws that have been in use for years with cattle dairies. They also are the only ones that I would use on the cows. They are heavy, to make the liner stay low on the teat. But, not so heavy that they fall off. Now, with the barrel claws you have to use a SS shell. There is no way around it. The plastic ones are not heavy enough to stay on the teat at the right level. Also, I use a cow liner instead of the ones that are made for goats. I just have had alot better luck with that type of liner in the milking unit.

ken in MO

7. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I used the Boumatic barrel claws and SS shells for years until I switched back to the goat claws. I'm not a fan of the barrel claws, especially since I am back to using to the goat claws. I have heavy milkers and I don't have the issues some of you do with the milk backing up/sloshing around in the claw.

I think I even have some of the old stuff laying around somewhere. :)

Sara

8. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Sara, it's my best milkers and my ones who a child could milk, they have such good orifices and good let down, that slug milk in the inflation, especially initially. Since I do clean inflations between does I quit trying to make it not do it, by pushing my finger in at the teat and making the milk flow by adding air. Course I have no idea what claw I have, I just call Mike and say make me a set to milk 2, in fact I am going to do that again soon for a spare :) Vicki

9. Sara,

Did you use the cow claw or the goat claw? I used the cow claw a few times, did not like at all the bottom unloading. Now the top unloading...those are SWEET!!! But, at weighing 18 oz each, just a tad to heavy for goats. I have the goat barrel and love them. But, also I think most people get the DeLeval 06 shells. That are totally the wrong combo with that type of claw. With the goat claws I will not even use the 06 shells, I use BouMatic top heavy ones(can not remember the number on them) Also use a large bore inflation.

Kaye,

Thought of something at about 4am this morning about your claw issue. Look at the milk hose going into the bucket and make sure that it has no bends in it. One time at WDE we was having fits with the buckets and that and all that caused it was the hose was bent a little bit where it went into the bucket. Also, what you can do... is shorten the milk hose going into the bucket so you dont have a heavy vaccum pull to get the milk out of the hose. That is the basic line of a low line milk barn. Shorter the hose the more steady vaccum that you will have. If you look at the old bucket milker the recommonded length of the hose was only 2 foot.

Ken in MO

10. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

I have the goat barrel claws and Boumatic shells. I didn't mind the shells so much, I just hate the fact that you can't see inside them. :) Nothing to really see I guess, probably just personal preference on that one.

Honestly, I woulnd't go back to the old stainless steel Boumatic stuff. The goat claws with clear shells and silicone inflations work so well for me. My husband also refuses to be my relief milker if I switch back. Not gonna happen! ;)

I think so much of what we use for milking and also AI is personal preference and what you learn with/on.

Sara

11. Also if you milk from behind...i could see a REAL problem with using barrel claws. I milk from the side and have hose supports.

The goat claws for me...my ole goats will just flood them out in a heart beat. But, I have bred for commerical type of milkers. Fast let down and FAST milk out. I dont wait for girls to give needle squirts

Ken in MO

12. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

Perhaps this is why I don't like the barrel claws... I milk from behind.

Sara