goat buying help

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by jdpearson, Oct 1, 2008.

1. jdpearson

jdpearson New Member

Hello

I've been looking to add an older, possibly already bred doe to our little herd. I inquired about a 2 yr old kinder. I asked about CL testing. I received a reply that they vaccinate with Cas-Bac or autogenous vaccine. Can some tell me what that means?

Thank you
    Susan

2. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It means that you need to pass on the purchase. The goats who recieve the vaccine are vaccinated because there has been CL on the property...there is no other reason on earth to ever vaccinate your herd. It also means that they will test positive for the test for CL which means you are forever stuck with a positive goat who you don't know if she really is positive for the vaccine or positive for the disease, there is no difference in the tests or how they are read.

You want to purchase only goats who test negative for CAE and CL.

This person got some really awful advice in running their dairy goat herd like this, it will in essence keep them from selling to most folks with good information about the disease and the vaccination. It 's no way to run a dairy herd if you are selling breeding stock. Vicki

3. jdpearson

jdpearson New Member

Thanks Vicki. I was pretty sure that it wasn't a good thing. I'll just keep looking.

Susan

4. Bella Star

Bella Star New Member

yep, smart girl ... keep looking !

5. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Susan are you near Whim so he could help you? vicki