Goat adorted but prolapse

Discussion in 'Forum Announcements & Help' started by MARGARET PEARSALL, Apr 16, 2020.

1. MARGARET PEARSALL

MARGARET PEARSALL New Member

My goat's babys are dead inside her, she has a prolapse and the vet put a spoon thing in. I have given her shots to open her cervix. I am clueless on what I and feeling for to check the cervix.

How do I check her and how far in do I go to check? Please help

CaramelKitty likes this.
  2. CaramelKitty

CaramelKitty Member

Hi! Sorry, this website has very few members if any that can help. There is a fantastic forum called The Goat Spot with many wonderful members that can help you. I suggest you go there. Here's a link.
    https://www.thegoatspot.net/

3. skeeter

skeeter Member

Yep because it's always good to direct people to a website that knows nothing about the subject.

How do you know that the kids are dead? If they truly are then the doe needs induced so that she can get rid of them with veterinarian aid.

4. Angelia Gregg

Angelia Gregg New Member

I agree, are you sure she has dead babies inside? Did the vet do an ultrasound? There are good vets and then there are GOAT vets. Goats are different!! They do not handle pain or infections. She should be induced and the veterinarian should be sweeping the uterus, afterwords uterine drench and IV antibiotics. Or a c-section, which is also high risk.
    If you do choose to do this yourself. She can be induced..it is extremely painful for her, you will need a holder, some lubricant, iodine or chlorahexidine, I have done this for a friend before after her doe went 9 days past her due date. You will reach your fingers in through the cervix and grab what you can, a foot hopefully, but it may break off, expect to go up to your elbow, it's not easy, and should be done by a veterinarian.
    So sorry for your pain.
    Hoping for the best.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020