GM Icecream

Discussion in 'Cheese & Dairy' started by Patty13637, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

This was posted on HT . I made it and yummy !

Rich Vanilla Ice Cream or Peppermint yields 1 gallon

In a large saucepan, Combine:
    3 ½ cups Sugar
    ½ cup flour
    ¾ t. salt
    Gradually stir in:
    7 cups whole milk.
    Cook over medium heat until thickened, about 20 to 30 minutes, stirring constantly. (I read a Taste of Home magazine while stirring).
    Beat 6 eggs in a mixer bowl. Gradually stir about one cup of hot mixture into the beaten eggs. Add back to remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly. Cook one minute, remove from heat. Refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight.

Combine:
    3 cups whole milk
    3 T. vanilla
    ¼ t. peppermint oil (optional)
    Add to chilled mixture and stir to combine

Pour into chilled canister and place in ice cream maker. Freeze as directed.

This recipe makes what I consider to be a French style rich vanilla custard ice cream.

One tip I have learned is for the best consistency of ice cream, the smaller the ice pieces used to pack the around the canister, the better. I bought and use a hand crank ice crusher, and crush all the ice I need before starting the ice cream making process. I am not able to purchase crushed ice, so I must make my own. Buying crushed ice would certainly be a lot easier!

For a sublime dessert, use the peppermint-flavored ice cream and serve over a brownie. Adding a ¼ t. peppermint oil makes a lightly flavored ice cream. You could add up to slightly less than ½ t. peppermint oil for a stronger flavored peppermint ice cream.
    Or make the plain vanilla ice cream and serve with chocolate sauce, or butterscotch sauce. Sometimes I add 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips to either the plain vanilla or peppermint recipe.

2. whimmididdle

whimmididdle Guest

:rofl That stuff will make you fat you know :rofl

It is good though ain't it.

;) Whim

3. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

There is no cream and just a bit of sugar so it cannot be all bad .

Patty

4. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

That looks really good Patty! Thanks for posting it.

Christy

5. MysticHollowGoats

MysticHollowGoats New Member

:yeahthat Milk, eggs, flour, sounds like breakfast to me :yes

6. GypsyRose

GypsyRose New Member

Hmmm...now I have to learn how to make ice cream too! You girls are really gonna give me a good education before this is all over with! :rofl

My grandmother has started calling me Laura! :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

7. Leo

Leo New Member

Thanks for posting the recipe. I'm going to try the peppermint one. DH will love it. :)
    Megan

8. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I added fresh canned peaches. yummy

9. Carolyn

Carolyn New Member

I saw the recipe and am going to try it---I love peppermint ice cream--I think I will add some peppermint candies to it. Thanks for trying it and letting us know. Carolyn

10. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I made more yesterday and cut the sugar down to 3 cups ...still yummy .

I also just freeze it in a rubbermade container stirring when I remember ...no icecream maker needed .

Patty

11. Terry

Terry Member

I'll have to try this. I need to find something to do with all of this milk other than pouring down the drain.
    Terry

12. MysticHollowGoats

MysticHollowGoats New Member

Did it get ice crystally or did it stay smooth and creamy?

13. Sunny Daze

Sunny Daze New Member

I have been wanting to make some ice cream but thought I would need an icecream maker...hhmmm, maybe will give this a try. Sounds yummy!

14. goatsareus

goatsareus Guest

hey, that's my recipe I posted on HT and I thought I also posted it here a few months ago...It does not get ice crystally and it stays smooth and creamy if you use crushed ice in the maker. The smaller the ice parts, the smoother the ice cream.....thanks for reposting!

15. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

I'm lazy -- I buy those Rival ice cream mix packs, dump in a quart of milk and yummy :) We had cookies N cream last night.

Tracy

16. Terry

Terry Member

I think I'll try Tracy's instead. :lol
    Terry

17. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Im really lazy I buy the ice cream at the store :)

18. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Goatsareus is to blame for expanding waste lines.

I am trying not to buy much of anything...prices are insane. Plus I get sick with store bought icecream alot of the time. Trying to be healthier.

I am all out so I guess I need to make more.

Patty

19. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

Someone needs to PM Lynn and get her recipe for goat milk ice cream....its was wonderful, really was the best I have ever tasted! vicki

20. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

Well Vicki ....got the recipe yet ???

Patty