gloria has kidded - help with colostrum please!

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by kidsngarden, Apr 21, 2008.

1. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Went out to give gloria her meds at 5 am this morning. she had been looking like she was going to kid, but I was thinking maybe not (Last year I had a doe look like that FOREVER). There was the bubble. I couldn't see and hooves after a few pushes so I went in (my first time). Kid was head first no hooves. I managed to bring the hooves forward and she pushed out a doe. Still struggling so I went in again and found another kid with just one rear hoof facing the right way. I could not get it turned around for anything! Then they wack broke! I got the other rear hoof facing the right way and she delivered a buck backwards. They were small I think. Buck 7 lbs 8.4 oz, doe 6 lbs 7.9 oz.

Gloria is doing ok. Got up ate, had bit of water. kids are doing fine, doeling weaker than the buck.

I've managed to turn the colostrum into custard. I think I heated it up too quickly. I need help here! I am still cooking it on the double boiler hoping to salvage it. and have whisked it. added a bit of water. Can I still feed this if I strain it so they can drink it? Or is all the good stuff out now. It didn't get over 145, but I didn't have lid on! HELP!

2. BlissBerry

BlissBerry Guest

The colostrum is no good Bethany. Do you have a back-up?

When heat treating colostrum you heat to 135-138 degrees - not above.

Congrats on your first assisted delivery!

Sara

3. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

All I have is colostrum powder. Will they scour with that?

I'm going to check on gloria again. I will try to get some more out of her. when I have it on the double boiler, what temp do I start it on the stove? I need a tutorial on this one I think!

Please adivse.

4. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

I do have GM in the freezer, but it's not pasturized yet. so I add the colostrum powder to the pasturized gm, right?

Darn it, darn it, darn it!

5. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

I have milk heating right now. I'm going to add the colostrum powder and get more colostrum for the kids second feeding out of Gloria.

I've been reading what has come up on this on the board. If I use my pressure canner, it has a thing on the bottom so jars aren't on direct heat, can I put the colostrum in quart jars and heat it in a water and get the temp? Will that work better than my double boiler?

6. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

[email protected] New Member

You have a 24 hour window to get colostrum into the animal, within 12 hours of birth being the ideal. Can you go out an milk mom again?

Once you have colostrum put in in either a quart jar or a pint jar with a metal top on it. Put that in the double boiler. Swirl it to mix.

Do you have a good thermometer? I shoot for temp close to 140, often it wobbles from 135 to 141. As soon as it hits 140 I take it out of the hot water and let it cool a bit. Sometimes, you have to add a little cool water in the pot to get the temp down again. Again we shoot for 135-140, so we kind of juggle it, adjust temp on the stove, move the pot off if needed, if it's still to hot we add cooler water, swirl the milk, take temp....

Digital themnometer helps the most, because you can see when those temps fluctuate. As soon as your water hit 135 set the one hour timer and just stay there and keep an eye on it.

7. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Ok, so if I measure the water temp instead of having the thermometer in the colostrum it will be ok? I have one of those pampered chef digital thermometers. It clips on the side of the container, making it impossible to put a lid on the milk. so I'll put the lid on the milk and put the thermometer attached to the pot of water, right? Take it out if it gets to hot, put it back in when it's the right temp.

I got 4 oz of GM in each kid with a spoonful of replacer in it, per the manufacturers directions. They are sleeping now very content I think. Mom gave me just 5 more ounces of colostrum, But it hasn't been that long since I milked a good portion out of her.

Mom has the placenta still hanging out of her, but is standing and eating and drinking a ton. Gave her bose, her dose of biomycin (for illness she had before kidding), cydectin, one last dose of CMPK for good measure.

Because I went in, do I need a uterine flush? Or will the biomycin do the job?

This board has totally saved my hiney! Thank you!

8. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

Do you have an old Alladin Stainless steel thermos??
    Slowly heat your colostrum to 135-138 degrees, (I don't care what temp the water in the double boiler is...I want the colostrum temp. to be in the right range.) use the water in the bottom of double broiler to heat the inside of thermos and then put your colostrum in it, seal, wrap a towel around it and wait an hour. Check the temp inside when the hr. is up to make sure it's still held the temp.

I've only ruined about 3 batches of colostrum this year...by getting it above 140 trying to do it other ways...Thank goodness it was FF and I had the old girl's colostrum in the freezer!
    Kaye

9. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

I have a nice new thermos stainless steel one. It doesn't hold much about 12-16 oz? But it keeps the heat! I will try that! I actually have two! That would be almost enough colostrum for both kids!

Thanks Kaye!

10. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

I use one smaller pot inside a larger pot filled with water (colostrum in the smaller pot). will heat the water on the stove to 138 and turn the flame off. In the winter, I can turn it down to a blue ring and it will maintain the temp in the pot, but warmer months, it has a tendency to climb. I'll wait about 10 - 15 min then check the temp of the colostrum. once it gets to 135, it gets a good stirr and the lid goes on and I just maintain the temp of the water for an hour... I do not leave the kitchen at this time! I will bring a book, a sudoku puzzle, some crocheting or something so that I can keep an eye on things.. if I leave, I'll ruin it.. I've done it before.

I wish I could have helped you out with the colostrum issue! I have a ton of it in the freezer. :/

As for the uterine flush, I wouldn't worry about that as long as you were clean when you went in. She is going to be sloughing stuff from in there for a while, cleaning herself out, so unless you had just come in from digging in the garden and gone in... :nooo

Good luck with the kiddos!! let us know how they're doing!

11. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

I still got thick stuff on the side of the jar doing it Kayes way. Never got above 138 though. So I put what wasn't thick in the thermos. I hope it holds since it isn't full. We will see.

I was gloved and lubed when I went in, but I went in I think three times on the last one. I was getting so frustrated trying to turn him. I was crying! :blush2 I was so blasted tired after caring for this doe while she was ill. It's kinda comical to think about it now really. I remember when I was in labor with my first and it was not a nice calm one like with my last two (induced a week early, epideral, didn't feel hardly anything on those two!). I was on pit and had an epideral till my doctor ordered me off to push. So now I was feeling the whole thing and had been in labor FOREVER. I was so tired I just felt like I couldn't do it anymore. I was crying, "I can't do it! I can't do it!" That's exactly what I was crying when I was trying to turn that buck around.

Sheez, what an emotional roller coaster! :crazy

I need a nap...

12. Jo@LaudoDeumFarm

[email protected] New Member

Something I forgot to say. If you use a metal lid on the jar, drill a hole into it and you can put your thermometer right down in the jar of colostrum. It will then give you the right reading. Walmart has these nice digital meat thermometers that have a long cord. This is what we use.

13. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

I actually have a cheap Presto fry cooker with the little adjustable dial that I can set right to 135 or so. I take my colostrum, put it in a ziplock and throw it in the water. I check the colostrum itself to see when it gets to the right temp, and then I let it go an hour. No scorching, no constant watching, no muss, no fuss :)

I wouldn't worry about flushing her either. Congrats on handling it all!

Tracy

14. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

That's all I want.. no muss, no fuss! :)

15. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

I am so going to get one of these TONIGHT!!! I'm assuming you use the quart freezer bags, right? Do you treat it before you freeze it or take it out of the freezer and treat it? Thanks for the congrats. I'm feeling pretty good right now...

Babies will be gone to their new homes TOMORROW. This is a lot of work this bottle feeding thing. I will bless the day I bought my lambar I think!

Tell me if this is ok...I am giving them 4 oz each pasturized GM with a spoonful of colostrum powder since I have managed to mess up both batches of colostrum. 4 oz is about all they will take at a time. It is 16 oz so far. Is this good? Do I do this through the night? When do I start feeding them more?

I'm really hoping this powder is ok, I know it's certainly not as good as the real thing, but I hope it will give them something...

16. Kaye White

Kaye White Guest

If your colostrum is sticking and not up to 140 degrees, then you're trying to take it up to temp too fast.

I have an electric stove and I set the burner on 3 and wait and watch. Only time it sticks is if I get on this forum and forget about it. :sigh
    Kaye

17. kidsngarden

kidsngarden New Member

Yep, I think I was taking it up too fast. It didn't hold the temp in the thermos either - but I think it might have if it were more in there.

I have more from her milking tonight. however as I am like a zombie right now (and these kids are past thier 12 hours) I think I will keep it in the fridge until I can actually THINK about what I am doing!

18. MysticHollowGoats

MysticHollowGoats New Member

Woohoo I have one of those already, what a GREAT tip!!

19. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Member

Oh btw -- when I set mine, it is actually down under "Warm" on the dial -- the first little notch actually. You'll have to play around with yours to see where to set it, but likely it will be just barely "On"

Tracy

20. MysticHollowGoats

MysticHollowGoats New Member

Boy your quick! I just went to look at mine and was going to ask about that LOL