Glass Milk Jars

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by Anita Martin, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

Does anyone know of a source for glass gallon and half gallon jars for milk, reasonably priced? Canning jars would be great in the larger sizes, but I can only get them in quart, unless I am looking in the wrong place.
    :thankyou

2. Sondra

Sondra New Member

Never used or tried to get gallon size but used 1/2 gal and True Value Hardware will order them in for you by the case around $10 a case of 6, BALL
    also Dollar General has a sq glass canister clear, that is $2.50 a jar and works good too I like those to make kefir in.

3. Anita Martin

Anita Martin Senior Member

Thanks Sondra,
    We have a true value right down the street from where I work. I'll call them Monday and see if they will order me some. Dollar general is open today, so when I go out to the farm store, I'll stop in there. I can't wait to make Kefir and yogurt.

4. Rose

Rose New Member

If you have estate auctions in your area, go to those sales. I got six half gallon canning jars at a sale last week. Garage sales of older folks have them, too.

5. Patty13637

Patty13637 New Member

I like the canning jard better than the jars from dollar general. 1 reason is I can get the plastic reuseable lids for the canning jars and if one breaks I can just put on another . I have several dollar general jars with no lids now .

I have gotten some of mine from hardware stores also. I luck out and the Mennonite store usually has them. I think I have about 4 dozen now.

Patty

6. Ravens Haven

Ravens Haven New Member

You can order glass gallon jars with lids from www.uline.com and you can get 1/2 gallon glass at Ingles if you have one.

7. goatkid

goatkid New Member

I look at thrift stores and garage sales for mine. I know a wholesale health food supplier in the west coast, United Natural Food Inc. also sells both the gallon and half gallon jars. Kathie

8. Chaty

Chaty New Member

:rofl we eat alot of Pickles and they come in 1/2 and gal jars...if the lid smells funny I just put plastic wrap over the top before the lid...got alot of jars that way...

9. farm mom

farm mom New Member

If you don't need too many (because they are kind of expensive) Caprine Supply has really cute gallon jars that have a farm scene and say goats milk on them. They come with a rubber lid. I don't have many goats so I may get some.

10. Melissa

Melissa New Member

and if you sell to customers make sure you get a deposit of the price of each jar you send with them. when they get more milk, eather they bring the used jar or pay another deposit.

-Melissa

11. Kaye White

Kaye White New Member

Yard sales or estate sales. Especially old farm sales. I noticed several cases of 1/2 gallon jars at -of all places- Wal-Mart the other day.
    Kaye

12. coso

coso Guest

If you know any one that works at restaurants or school kitchens they usually have some. My wifes sister is a cook at a school and we get what we need from her. I think most of them are pickle jars.