Giving Shots

Discussion in 'Dairy Goat Info' started by stoneyheightsfarm, Nov 25, 2008.

1. stoneyheightsfarm

stoneyheightsfarm New Member

In my usual rambling fashion, I asked a question in a former thread that really needs its own thread :) And in my usual rambling fashion, I can't ask a simple, straighforward question, so you're getting a little background.

So this buck with the open sinus cavity has oozing that doesn't look quite right to me. Some of it is clear, but some is opaque to white. I called the vet, and she suggested that we start the penicillin just in case. Directions are to squire 1cc down into the cavity (done) and then 4 ccs 2x/day IM or SQ. I told her I've done SQ injections before in the armpit when giving CD/Ts so felt like I could do that. She said that it would be better to give the SQ shot in the neck--less soreness--but to do the armpit if that was all I could do.

Well, I've used a 12 guage needle for the CD/T, and that was pretty easy peasy. This time, she gave me 18 guage needles, b/c the Penicillin is so thick. I tried doing the SQ both in the neck and the armpit, and I can't get it. I get the needle part way in, but not far enough, and the medicine squirts out the back of the hole and runs down his coat on the OUTside. When I go for the armpit, he tightens his front leg against his body and won't let me in! For some reason, his skin feels thicker now than in the summer, too.

I realize I probably sound like a complete idiot and a wuss, and I probably am, but I need HELP!!!! Suggestions? Advise? I probably just need to suck it up and shove the thing in further, but I'm concerned about hitting something I shouldn't. Any insight you can lend would be most helpful. I'm doing this on the milkstand, b/c his head is still small enough to fit, and I won't have any extra adult hands to help until tomorrow.

Thanks again,
    Blabberfingers

2. coso

coso Guest

An 18 gauge needle is actually smaller then a 12 gauge. I just pick the skin up over the ribs. Stick the needle through the skin. You well feel a little pop when it goes through, then your good to go. :biggrin If you go under the skin there is nothing to hit.

3. NubianSoaps.com

NubianSoaps.com New Member

It's not in the armpit you are aiming for, but the loose pliable skin over the first ribs. In fact I just do body shots, pull skin give shot, move to the next side for the second day. I don't worry about getting the shots low on the body etc...they absorb better with alot of surface area, and over the ribs up a little higher has alot better area of absorption. I would go for the penn in the sinus cavitiy, I would not start an antibiotic systemically unless he started running a temp. 3cc per 50 pounds twice a day given subq only, there is no reason to give over the counter antibiotics IM.

I would go much more by smell of his head rather than appearance and not overthink it too much. Bo-se to boost his immunity. Echenicia is something I do, I grow it, and just wash the roots well, grind them up and add to their feed, they are very easy to grow and absolutly beautiful in bloom. Vicki

4. stoneyheightsfarm

Thanks so much! I don't smell anything off. My son just left a bandaid on too long and that got infected not long ago, so I know what I'm sniffing for... I'll go take his temp. Thank you both for the rib location tip, too!

"and not overthink it too much" Boy do you have me pegged! :)

5. hsmomof4

hsmomof4 New Member

And I bet that the "12 gauge" is a typo and it's probably actually 22 or something. A 12 gauge needle would be HUGE.

6. stoneyheightsfarm

Yep, I was mixed up. This is an 18 guage. The 22 was what I used for CD/T. Okay have to go take the temp!

7. stoneyheightsfarm

Temp is 102.9 Sound okay? I need to monitor? Or go ahead w/ meds? (I know the Birth Till Kidding article says normal is 102. Fias Co Farms site says 102.5 to 104 depending on surroundings. It's cold out here, but he's all hot & bothered with his girlfriend at the fence yelling at him...

8. NubianSoaps.com

I hate to say no don't use it and then tommorrow he is down in his pen from a fever :) do you have some banamine still? It's up to you, if you start you will have to continue for at least 7 days if not 10, it's just such a sorry drug :) But after 36 hours, if he still doesn't have a temp at least you can go to once a day.

It's a fine line between being proactive and staying ontop of stuff like this, and another to subject the buck to all sorts of fluff to make yourself feel as if you are doing enough. Vicki

9. Sondra

Sondra New Member

I personally wouldn't give the shots unless he runs a temp and I consider anything over 103.5 high and needs it. But I would use it in the cavity it's self. I just hate using pen g unless it is really really needed. Now of course that is me. I would use Vit C for now. orally. BoSe and banamine for pain if needed.

10. stoneyheightsfarm

I don't have banamine. Vet said I could stop giving the pen g a couple days after the oozing stopped or turned normal color. She didn't say anything about 7 to 10 days. (But I know when my doc RXs me antibiotics, I can't stop them when I feel better...) Anyhow, after putting it in the cavity, (and really before that) I've only seen clear drainage, and some of the pen g drained out. So according to her directions, I probably shouldn't be giving it systemically, either...

I was talking to my husband about it last night, and he is not fond of systemic antibiotics given willy nilly. He's with using it in the cavity and closely monitoring. So, looks like I may be taking regular temps... Granted, he's not terribly educated about goats, but we'd follow that principle in humans. So far, that's what I'm feeling most comfortable with as well. At this point, me giving the shots would probably be more for me to learn how to do it, and I really don't think Tripoli would appreciate being my guinea pig for something that may not be necessary! (He is not a real friendly goat anyway, and now he is even less fond of me!)

I'm thinking that the white drainage I saw may have been that whitish tissue I saw earlier coming out? Everything since has been clear, maybe slightly blood tinged.

As far as echinacea, since I can't grow some real quick :) would just pills from Walmart work? (I'm allergic to the stuff, or I'd grow it!) And Vitamin C, is there a goat vitamin C, or can I give human stuff?

11. Theresa

Theresa New Member

Just buy the chewable vitamin c tablets for people. Most come in orange flavor so they will eat them.

And I agree with just monitoring. You will know if it is getting infected because he will seem off, not eatting or drinking. And monitoring the temp is good. Infection will make it go up, then you could start the antibiotics. Hope it heals soon and then you won't have to worry about it.
    Theresa

12. NubianSoaps.com

Yes people stuff works great. So does the horse stuff, which is ultra cheap especailly if you are buying MSM, chondroiton and Glucosomine for your old joints! I do keep it in the fridge. But herbal stuff is herbal stuff as long as it is something normal like the above or echinecia, now some of the other popular things...well since it's so limited grown, your surely not getting much of it at all for 6.95 at wallmart :) Vicki