Getting thick yogurt

Discussion in 'Cheese & Dairy' started by steffb, Mar 31, 2008.

1. steffb

steffb New Member

Is there a way to get thick yogurt without adding dry milk. I have been using store bought plain and m not happy with the results. I have ordered yogurt culture from hoeggers but have not yet received it. Will that make a difference?

2. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Guest

You can pout yogurt into a muslin lines colander and drain it until you reach desired consistency. Another way to do it is for each quart dissolve 1/8tea gelatin to some warm milk and add with the culture.

Christy

3. Rose

Rose New Member

I strain my yogurt in muslin after it's cooled a bit. It's like sour cream then. The Lebanese call it Laban.

4. Kalne

Kalne New Member

I'd like to make it without powdered milk too. Anyone try pectin? I have Pomona Pectin that I buy in bulk. I think draining it will help too. I'm getting ready to start some now.

5. susie

susie New Member

I've heard that if you heat your milk to 185 then let it cool it will give you a thicker yogurt-- I haven't tried that though.

Susie

6. steffb

steffb New Member

Heat it to 185 as opposed to 180?

In the summer I can get a kosher brand of plain yogurt. I do not know the name. That starter makes a very thick almost stringy yogurt. Unfortunately the kosher supermarket is only open July and August.

7. buckrun

buckrun New Member

I have used the Bulgarian yogurt culture from Cheesemaking.com as a mother culture for a couple of years now and it has produced a moderately firm product that sets up better over time in the fridge as well. Goat milk alone rarely sets up like cow milk.
    Lee

8. Rose

Rose New Member

Take a few minutes at the dairy products aisle in the grocery store. The thick yogurts have additives.

9. goatsareus

goatsareus New Member

Anything I've ever read says 180*F is the magic number

10. stacy adams

stacy adams New Member

My sis gave me a yogurt maker for Christmas along with some starter. Well, I put the starter in the freezer and promptly lost it! so I got some Dannon plain whole yogurt I mixed 6 containers of fresh, warm milk (right from the barn) with one container of yogurt (it holds 7 jars) and set it up for 10 hours. The next morning, it was fabulous! I expected it to be much thinner than it actually was - which was about the thickness of the yogurt out of the container. I clean everything like I do for cheese, but I have yet to heat my milk up first and so far it has turned out wonderful.. Now this I can eat!

11. steffb

steffb New Member

OMG-javascript:void(0);javascript:void(0);
    Crying laughing
    ROFLOL--I am reading this trying to figure out this Mud thing. I figured one of you started it. I am now realizing it says mud instead of milk everywhere. Why?

12. susie

susie New Member

On my packet of starter from NE Cheesemeaking it says 185-- but ,yeah, I don't imagine there's gonna be much difference than 180 degrees :)

Susie

13. Sondra

Sondra New Member

yeh and your Frogs make the mud :rofl