Dairy Goat Info Forums banner

Getting my first goat

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Dorothy 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I will be getting my first goat tomorrow, and I have done tons of research, I'm getting a newbian doe. She is a year old and in very good shape. What are some of your experiences with newbians? I also started my own blog and would love for you to join me on my experience starting my own homestead, I would love some ideas and could maybe even offer you some of my own. Here's a link if you would like to become a member of my page! http://wix.to/5cBxBwI

#4 ·
yeah, especially Nubians! hehe. It's very likely she will yell for attention until she gets a friend. Depending on where you live in the country, my advice would be to keep up with de-worming for sure and a steady supply of minerals. Where I live in the south I've had the best results with giving them plenty of alfalfa (pellets or hay) to munch in between feeding grain on the milking stand. If I do those things, they give me lots of good quality milk and healthy kids with little problems. I really love my Nubians!

#5 ·
Hi, so I raise Saanens, do like the cross between a Saanen and a Nubian for milk production and butterfat. You will find this out I am sure... but.. do you know what Saanen breeders LOVINGLY call Nubians???? Screaming Floppys.. They are vocal, and the ears are tasty treats to Saanens. At shows I used to tease the locals as they walked through the dairy barn and wondered what happened to the ears on La Manchas. Nubians too close to Saanens, they call them La Munchies for a reason you know. Have fun with your doe.

#6 ·
LaManchas.... the perfect balance between the Saanen and the Nubian with butterfat content. I prefer this breed as they are very hardy, personable, good natured (usually), and produce the best milk (sweet, not too creamy, not too thin) with excellent production (depending on the quality of lines you get, no matter the breed). The higher the butterfat content in the milk, the more it tends to pick up a "goaty" flavor, but with such a little butterfat content, it lacks sweetness. I think the LaManchas have the best balance! ;) But I've also noticed that Nubian lovers are unique to that.... they love they're Nubians! But if your not a Nubian lover, you probably prefer to never own one!
All the best with your goat endeavors!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.